Loud And Excessive Meowing - Supplements/scents?

catladyv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My cat is a 14-year-old tabby. About six months ago he started meowing a lot, day and night, for no apparent reason. At times he seems extremely anxious, with a lot more "crazy time" than before, running up and down the apartment. In particular, he meows at the door a lot, and there is nothing out the door (I live in a high-rise and there's nothing in the hallway). Of course the worst for me is at night. I'm at my wits' end with sleep loss.

I'm using the Feliway diffuser, which hasn't helped. He's had the pheromone collar on for a few months, which seems to help sometimes (less meowing when I give him a newly opened collar). I've taken him to the vet, thinking it might be a thyroid problem or other health problem, but his blood work was normal. He's also not losing hearing or sight based on the way he interacts with me and with toys. Overall he seems mentally sharp, too.

The vet assistant mentioned to me that maybe he can sense/smell a cat among my neighbors (with how he meows at the door). Funny thing is I do have a neighbor with a cat, so the vet assistant might actually be right. Has anyone had a similar situation of a cat that was anxious because it could *smell* another cat next door? If this is indeed the case, is there any way for me to block the scent? As in, is there something like a diffuser that can overwhelm the other cat's scent? Or a scent I can apply to my cat, similar to a collar? I know this is a weird question!

Barring a diagnosis for a health problem... I feel like my last resort is anti-anxiety supplements. I've read up on a few. Has anyone tried these for excessive meowing, and which one specifically has worked well?

Thanks in advance!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have his blood pressure checked! A symptom of Hypertension is excessive and sudden meowing and being older I would not put it off. I would do full senior bloodwork too while you have him at the vet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At his age, this might also be the early onset of cognitive issues. Have your vet check for that, as well.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
If I may respectfully say so, personally I think it's the other cat.

There are a lot of other calming products available, with all sorts of different ingredients.

Some cats such as my Big Guy are not much affected by Feliway. There are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryptophan and casein.

In addition some people are using CBD oil. If you need, you can speak with your vet about something stronger.

There is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe. Thunderease has a diffuser and so does Sentry.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo. Australia's Petbarn has a product as well.

There are a couple of discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My cat is a 14-year-old tabby. About six months ago he started meowing a lot, day and night, for no apparent reason. At times he seems extremely anxious, with a lot more "crazy time" than before, running up and down the apartment. In particular, he meows at the door a lot, and there is nothing out the door (I live in a high-rise and there's nothing in the hallway). Of course the worst for me is at night. I'm at my wits' end with sleep loss.

I'm using the Feliway diffuser, which hasn't helped. He's had the pheromone collar on for a few months, which seems to help sometimes (less meowing when I give him a newly opened collar). I've taken him to the vet, thinking it might be a thyroid problem or other health problem, but his blood work was normal. He's also not losing hearing or sight based on the way he interacts with me and with toys. Overall he seems mentally sharp, too.

The vet assistant mentioned to me that maybe he can sense/smell a cat among my neighbors (with how he meows at the door). Funny thing is I do have a neighbor with a cat, so the vet assistant might actually be right. Has anyone had a similar situation of a cat that was anxious because it could *smell* another cat next door? If this is indeed the case, is there any way for me to block the scent? As in, is there something like a diffuser that can overwhelm the other cat's scent? Or a scent I can apply to my cat, similar to a collar? I know this is a weird question!

Barring a diagnosis for a health problem... I feel like my last resort is anti-anxiety supplements. I've read up on a few. Has anyone tried these for excessive meowing, and which one specifically has worked well?

Thanks in advance!
We have barn cats, and stray cats.
We have two colonies, indoors, and one territorial female.
If these cats come near the building, she sprays the back door. It's gross and infuriating, but....I understand why she does it. It's a cat thing.
(I've often wondered how life would be if humans did this to claim whatever they want....probably not really good, LOL!)

I think having a full work up was a great idea. Did the vet mention the possibility of "sundowners" syndrome, like human folks with Alzheimer's sometimes get?

I have not tried these anxiety supplements personally.
I did use COQ10 on an aging dog that, at 9 years old, would stare at us like "....well, who the **** are you, and when did you get here?" and walk away, despite the fact he was here from puppy hood on.
It's anecdotal of course, but this (along with a few diet changes to suit him) did seem to bring his cognitive function back to a more "sane" level. He wasn't "crazy" but seeing a dog at 9 years (not old) showing these signs had us jumpy. I do think the COQ10 helped. He was sane, "with it", and mentally steady til the moment he died.
(Again, this is anecdotal and I can't promise the same should you try this. Just offering our experiences since we've no real experience with medication.)
Whatever you decide....wishing you my best and a good solution to this problem. :hellocomputer:

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
maybe worth having his thyroid rechecked as it's exactly what HK went through just before he was diagnosed with hyperthyroid. btw, did your vet check your cat for vision issues? i've read about blind cats that behave the same way.

it could be a neighbor or guest had a cat or dog who peed on the carpet in the hall. they might have cleaned it up enough that you can't see or smell it, but guaranteed that your cat can, and it's going to drive him crazy. or it could be a different smell, something that is upsetting him and isn't going away. heck, one of your neighbors could have gotten a bird that you can neither hear nor smell but your cat can.

as an afterthought, is it possible a neighbor's cat is in heat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catladyv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have his blood pressure checked! A symptom of Hypertension is excessive and sudden meowing and being older I would not put it off. I would do full senior bloodwork too while you have him at the vet.
Good idea, I don't think the vet checked blood pressure last time. But she did do full bloodwork.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catladyv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I may respectfully say so, personally I think it's the other cat.

There are a lot of other calming products available, with all sorts of different ingredients.

Some cats such as my Big Guy are not much affected by Feliway. There are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryptophan and casein.

In addition some people are using CBD oil. If you need, you can speak with your vet about something stronger.

There is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe. Thunderease has a diffuser and so does Sentry.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo. Australia's Petbarn has a product as well.

There are a couple of discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?
Thank you! I'll be frantically Googling this weekend.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting note on the high blood pressure!!!!!
I'd definitely get this checked.
Even if all is well, keep in mind you may be helping the vets diagnose a "difficult" case to help cats in the future that present with similar symptoms.
We did this with a heart patient once. I still kind of hope his case has helped others.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good idea, I don't think the vet checked blood pressure last time. But she did do full bloodwork.
did you get a breakdown of what bloodwork was done? i ask because our cat has a B12 deficiency, but our vet never checked for it even though it turns out he had symptoms.