Lost My Sweet Cat Oscar Today.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He had been battling a persistent infection for awhile. I've taken him to the vet many times over the past few months. He started to refuse to eat wet food, but would eat dry. I was still worried about his calories, so I was feeding him some of the high caloric gel to boost his calories. Just yesterday I went and bought like 15 different brands of food and those "food compliment" things to try to get him to eat more. He actually ate quite a bit of Natural Balance platefulls, and I was hopeful for the future. And I woke up today, and he was gone.
I would normally bury my loved pet on my land, but its winter and impossible with hand tools. I called the local pet crematorium, but they weren't in on a Sunday. I don't know what sort of time frame I have for decomposition, I have put his remains in my basement so it is cooler. I just couldn't bring myself to put him outside, where his body would freeze. Hopefully, a day is okay to wait.
DSCN0876 (Copy).JPG
He had obviously had a tough life on the streets, when I brought him in. He was terrified of people wearing shoes, or brooms. But he was sweetheart, and greatly loved. He would carry around his favorite toy and give it to me. He would sit on my bathroom sink while I was in the shower, howling his lungs out. And he would also not hesitate to give you a swat, with claws out, if he was done being petted. I guess I don't have anything else to say, since I can barely see with the tears running down my face.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
My condolences... it’s never easy. I am still beyond broken and my kitty cat passed away over 2 weeks ago now.

You clearly loved Oscar and did your best to the end. That is all that matters.

As much as it pains me to say this, you should cover Oscar in his favourite blanket and put him in either a chest freezer that a lot of people have in their basements or empty out your fridge freezer (if it has one) and place him in there. Although we don’t see this from our view, when our cats are euthanized at vet clinics they are placed inside either freezers or freeze-rooms in the back to preserve the body until the crematorium people arrive. With a freezer the body will last quite a while. Just putting him as is in the basement, I am not so sure how much it will slow the decomposition process.

Sorry again :alright:.

Reading these posts about cats passing is too much for me... I need to go...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My condolences... it’s never easy. I am still beyond broken and my kitty cat passed away over 2 weeks ago now.

You clearly loved Oscar and did your best to the end. That is all that matters.

As much as it pains me to say this, you should cover Oscar in his favourite blanket and put him in either a chest freezer that a lot of people have in their basements or empty out your fridge freezer (if it has one) and place him in there. Although we don’t see this from our view, when our cats are euthanized at vet clinics they are placed inside either freezers or freeze-rooms in the back to preserve the body until the crematorium people arrive. With a freezer the body will last quite a while. Just putting him as is in the basement, I am not so sure how much it will slow the decomposition process.

Sorry again :alright:.

Reading these posts about cats passing is too much for me... I need to go...
I understand the logic, but I just can't put him in there like a piece of meat. I think I will leave this site, possibly forever. I can't deal with the loss.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Oscar was truly a handsome guy!
And he loved you to bits, that's for sure, as much as you loved him.
Can I ask you how old he was?

As for the preserveation of the body, I think that leaving him in a thick box with a pair of ice packs (to be replaced about twice a day) next to him and covered with a blanket would help till it's the time for his last travel to the crematorium... I did like this with my last two cats...

RIP Oscar, your beauty will shine at the Rainbow Bridge!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read of the loss of Oscar, it always hits me harder when they are a Tuxedo as I love my dear Sylvester with all of my heart, but that is why he would swat you at times because he had "tuxitude", they can be a bit fiesty at times! But you took him in off the streets and gave him a wonderful life, and he thanks you for it and you will see him again someday and it will be wonderful. Where he is now he is warm and safe and eats to his heart's content, there is no more pain or sickness he is just fine and happy and healthy.

I know how heartbreaking it is, you too feel as if you will die also and don't half care if you do, but with time you will slowly start to heal, you'll never be quite the same but you will get better. Please take some time for yourself and don't leave the boards, instead when you are ready and able perhaps you can help console another in need of support who has just lost their little friend.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, Lord Bless you.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all cry with you for the loss of such a beautiful little boy. Waiting a day or two won't be a problem, except for adding heartache to an already broken heart. He is past the suffering, the cares of this world now. To have died at home, surrounded by the love of those we love so dearly, is prayer of every living thing, he has been blessed.
The bond that ties your souls together will keep him alive in your heart. "Death cannot take that which never dies" and the love you two shared will remain with you for as long as you are alive and beyond. He is as close as your thoughts and prayers, so send him ones of love, of thankfulness for sharing your life's journey with you for a little while. To have never known him at all would have been a tragic loss in your own life.
You gave him in this life what he wanted most of all, a home and someone to love him, for that he thanks you with all his little being, and leaves you with a legacy of love that he would love nothing more than you to pass on to others. Allowing it to grow and spread , not be hidden in a heart made cold by grief.
He would never want you to be so sad because of his leaving. Just as you would want for him of you were the first to go, go into the future and find the joy that living brings in this world and share it with him. Because that is what love is, wanting joy and happiness for those you share it with, not everlasting tears and sadness. One day you will be able to think of him, of the life you shared, and be glad for having known him. His new path will forever parallel your own, he will never be far away. Love is spiritual, so eternal.
My heart goes out to you, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers......
RIP dear Oscar. You will never be forgotten, you will have a secure place in a loving heart for eternity. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Oscar, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

If your basement is very cool, he should be ok there for a day. Ice packs would certainly help, especially if it has to be longer.

I hope you don't leave us forever, although I understand if you must go for awhile. But do remember that we are here, and that we understand what you are going through. Someday, when the pain is not so raw and new, we hope to see you here again. You are a part of us, you know.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot find the proper words to tell you how deeply sorry I am for the loss of your beloved Oscar, because I guess there would really be no right words. But I am really, truly, sincerely sorry that you are going through this grief. Majority of us can probably relate to this kind of pain that only pet lovers understand.

Grief does not really fade away. It just gets mellow in time. Soon you will get to remember Oscar with more of a smile, than of tears. Hang in there. Oscar would not want to see you sad. Please be strong.

My prayers for you and Oscar.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took his body to the pet crematorium today. It was only $95 for a private cremation with ashes returned. I was impressed with the facilities and the empathy of the staff. It would be a job I wouldn't do for any amount of money. I'm doing a bit better today, I still have 3 wonderful cats that all still want my love.
Here is Oscar watching out the window for squirrels with 2 of my other cats.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That photo is a precious memory!

I'm glad you found a facility where the staff is compassionate, it helps so much is such moments, I know it from experience :alright:

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I Lost my 17 year old dog, I told myself I would never have another pet. Then within 4 years I had 3 cats, all accidentally acquired. It must be some psychological disorder to keep hurting myself, for these friends. I should get a tortoise or an African Grey parrot that will outlive me by hundreds of years.
Here is Oscar kneading his favorite stuffed animal, until he noticed I caught him.
View media item 422278

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
When I Lost my 17 year old dog, I told myself I would never have another pet. Then within 4 years I had 3 cats, all accidentally acquired. It must be some psychological disorder to keep hurting myself, for these friends. I should get a tortoise or an African Grey parrot that will outlive me by hundreds of years.
Here is Oscar kneading his favorite stuffed animal, until he noticed I caught him.
View media item 422278
You are not alone. As animal lovers we never seem to learn from our repeated grief and mourning, but as I always say, it is a privilege for us to be able to spend our lives with our pets. I also have lost several dogs in the past, and always, always left me broken and until now makes me cry whenever a memory rushes by. But still I also cannot stop taking in dogs and cats and birds. It is probably a part of our DNA. Not all human beings are capable of loving an animal this deep, but you are - and you can! And to me that is one marvelous character of a human being.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It must be some psychological disorder to keep hurting myself, for these friends. I should get a tortoise or an African Grey parrot that will outlive me by hundreds of years.
No, Dear One, but your soul knows this great Truth...that we cannot hold more joy in our hearts that our sorrow has carved room for, and as bitter as is the losing, the joy of having, even if only for awhile, is so much greater.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Oscar was never much of a cuddlier, but he did enjoy laying next to my other cats and me. He just didn't appreciate me waking him up from his nap, for a picture.
Thank you for these photos. It gives us a chance to know Oscar more, and to feel the love you had, and still have for him. What precious babies you got there. :)

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oscar was never much of a cuddlier, but he did enjoy laying next to my other cats and me. He just didn't appreciate me waking him up from his nap, for a picture.
Two Tuxs, all dressed up lol! I say that to Sylvester that he's "all dressed up, where are you going?"! :D :p:rbheart:

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for these photos. It gives us a chance to know Oscar more, and to feel the love you had, and still have for him. What precious babies you got there. :)
Thank you for looking through the pictures of him and listening to my ramblings. It makes me relive so many happy memories, and then it hurts so much more that he is gone.

Today I saw a cat on my back porch that looked so much like Oscar, that I went into a panic, thinking I somehow took him to be cremated alive. It had the same white boots, mustache and white mark on the chest. It just didn't have the white line down the nose. Around this neighborhood, it is probably a relative. It looked like it had an ulcer in its right eye. I was so angry I shouted at it, till it ran away. I am ashamed about Scaring the helpless kitty, but I will not bring in another animal into my house. If I waver, all I have to do is look into Oscar's eye's and how I let him down.