Lost My Jezabel

Idleheid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MOD NOTE: Jezabel's story is part of this long-standing thread: When a cat is dying...

Thank you everyone for your thoughts everybody.

I called the vet like you guys suggested to tell her that it was probably soon, but kind of had her on standby. So I ended up waiting a couple of months.. she started having problems getting up our stairs and was urinating everywhere until she wasn't going...at all...we had been carrying her up the stairs for the last 4 months and putting her in the litterbox. One day we did and she just struggled, got out of the litterbox and passed out.

That night she was in the other room sleeping in her bed (her last days she seemed to prefer hanging out with us on the bed, but would go down her pet stairs to her other bed to sleep at night.) That night I got a really bad feeling and that I needed to check on her.

I walked in to her wheezing with her mouth wide open and breathing very heavily which broke my heart just watching. :( Joe and I lay on the floor holding her paws until it subsided.

Then I picked her up and brought her into the room with Joe and I to sleep.

She seemed calm sleeping in between us...she stretched her little head out to curl up against my head, I hope it comforted her somewhat. I could tell she was in a lot of pain.

The next morning I called the vet at 8 am and left a text.

The vet said she could come at 4 pm. It felt like we were in some kind of torturous countdown. :(

Three days previous we had started to go outside with Jez in our yard and lay with her on a blanket (my husband works from home most of the time) as even though she was kind of a scardy cat and hadn't gone outside much, but suddenly she was VERY interested in the outdoors, like she was when she was younger. She was very wobbly and frail, and we were always close, so we knew she couldn't sneak off to die.

Her favorite place was always behind our house, in protected forest. Its a gully with a pathway that has a stream at the bottom. For the first time in years we brought her there...we carried her down to it and set her down by the ...The second day she tried to get a drink and actually GROWLED at us when we didn't let her because we worried what it would do to her.

Her last day alive we let her get a drink.

When she decided she was done with drinking that water, we brought her back up to the backyard where she had strengthened her claws years earlier on all the trees...where she would walk to the back of the yard and pace along the fence like a little grey tiger...andchew on the grass in the circular garden and lay there with the wind whipping through her hair and put her on the green blanket that matched her eyes.

It was only a matter of time.
Waiting is torture.
Just sitting there looking at her on the blanket, (and then on my husbands belly- she used to LOVE doing that and licking his whiskered face... and she would DEMAND to be obeyed as she did it, but now her plump little body over the months looked almost skeletal on his belly. No licking his face now. She hadn't for weeks.

The Vet texted me at 3:45 and told me that she would be there in 15 minutes.

I felt my heart jump.

It is amazing how anticlimactic this kind of death is. My dog (who was her best buddy) died on a Sunday and I couldn't call the vet...he had seizures and died horribly. This at least was a peaceful death. The only comfort I have is that the vet said that its almost like a "high" for the animals...they die feeling very, VERY good.

And yet it rips you up like nothing else.

The vet came and talked to us, told us her ( Jez's) options. This was it.

Even more heartbreaking, while the vet talked to us Jez got up and immediately squatted like she had to go, and her legs trembled horribly.

Joe (my husband of 26 years) got up and got her, and said that he said to himself that if she struggled when he picked her up that he would reconsider putting her down.

She was limp.

In the end, we sat with Jezabel, she put her head in my hand and the vet did it.

I tried to stay calm but inside I my heart was breaking...I saw the light go out of her eyes... I said "Oh God!" and then she was GONE.

I went inside the house and couldn't hold it in anymore. I just sobbed. God I miss her. :(

I swear last night while I was going to sleep that I felt her get on the bed. (that hasn't happened before yesterday) I couldn't sleep for HOURS. I miss her so bad.

Strange too...My husband I go walking and before I hardly ever saw cats. Now I see them ALL the time...One time I was walking and I thought if I see a cat I'll be ok...about 10 minutes after that a cat showed up on the trail I walk. Today I saw a black cat and a white cat named "Casper" of all things...Casper the friendly ghost cat? :) He was white. I just keep thinking Jezabel, did you do that???(All the cats I have seen and played with that I've seen on the trails I've been on have had collars.) I don't want another cat, I just can't handle the pain of losing another animal some day but I have to wonder whats up with that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im really sorry for your loss.
You and you husband were with her when she passed and im sure that gave her some comfort.
Its been about 2 years since our little girl passed and it still is upsetting to think about it. But time slowly allows us to accept, although not forget.

There will be better days ahead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Idleheid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry you lost your baby too...I am having a hard time functioning at the moment but I'm sure your right, I know there will be better days ahead.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did the only thing you could do,love her until the very end. She died surrounded by those she loved the most, in her home, where she spent the most wonderful years of her life. We never want to let them go, final goodbyes are the hardest things to do. The emptiness in our hearts and homes is almost unbearable at times, but it will get better. Time is the only thing that helps. It helps by teaching us how to cope with losing them. We must learn a new life's order that doesn't include them. But the bond you formed with that sweet girl will be with you forever, because it is spiritual, not bound by the laws of physical life. I know in my heart that Jezabel would never want you to mourn overly long for her. She loves you too much to want anything other than happiness and sunshine in your lives. Just as you would want for her if you were the first to go. Her new path will parallel yours until once more they cross when your own journey is through. You will feel her presence in your heart, she will never be far from you. Though her physical body failed her, the 'essence' that made her Jezabel will surround and love you for the rest of your life. She leaves you a legacy of love, do her an honor by passing it on to another love. Like a mother with many children, you can love each and every one.
My heart aches fro your pain, surround yourself with those who love you and understand what you are going through. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.......RIP precious Jezabel, once in a lifetime there comes a cat like you that fills another's world. Now you fill the hearts that love you so very much. The world bowed it's head in sadness when you left it, but the angels sing a welcome. You are at peace now, whole and healthy once more. Sleep tight, little Princess!

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tears here. We know that life has an end, while feelings do not. There is a misterious bond between humans and cats that perhaps biology will explain some day. To that time, cats helps us both with their kitty purrs and by their last breath to feel very deeply our soul. In time, the pain will fade while good memories will get reinforced. Guarding a cat is a perpetual gift of Love from the first miow to the black day. Keep loving.
Head bow.

Idleheid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all for your replies! Yes that bond will never die.

I was in bed trying to get to sleep when I swear I felt Jezabel walk up on the bed... I haven't had that happen till tonight... made me think of the last night that she slept in between us on the bed with her head pressed against my face. You know those soft blankets where the underside is extra soft? That's how my cat's fur was... that soft... I'm sleeping with one of those blankets pressed up against my face....God I miss her. I woke up again this morning (ug...it's 2 am but I don't mind I just love feeling like she's there) to feel like my cat was getting on the bed again... and I still felt her walking around the bed after I woke up so I just sat there and reveled in it... interesting too... she used to always bug me for food around 2 or 3 a.m.) then felt this incredible feeling of so much love... I know I sound like I'm crazy but I feel like it's coming from my cat. I've been listening to a book called Anita moorjanis "dying to be me" on audiable and it's reminding me of some things... that feeling of love that I'm feeling right now feels very much like the feeling I had when I had a near-death experience at 16... (thats a whole other story) thanks Kitty! It is so comforting. Aaaaaand now I'm wide awake. I don't want that feeling to go away. Its total euphoria. God I sound like I'm nuts.. lol...

Now I have felt really good all day...again, thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate them so much!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all for your replies! Yes that bond will never die.

I was in bed trying to get to sleep when I swear I felt Jezabel walk up on the bed... I haven't had that happen till tonight... made me think of the last night that she slept in between us on the bed with her head pressed against my face. You know those soft blankets where the underside is extra soft? That's how my cat's fur was... that soft... I'm sleeping with one of those blankets pressed up against my face....God I miss her. I woke up again this morning (ug...it's 2 am but I don't mind I just love feeling like she's there) to feel like my cat was getting on the bed again... and I still felt her walking around the bed after I woke up so I just sat there and reveled in it... interesting too... she used to always bug me for food around 2 or 3 a.m.) then felt this incredible feeling of so much love... I know I sound like I'm crazy but I feel like it's coming from my cat. I've been listening to a book called Anita moorjanis "dying to be me" on audiable and it's reminding me of some things... that feeling of love that I'm feeling right now feels very much like the feeling I had when I had a near-death experience at 16... (thats a whole other story) thanks Kitty! It is so comforting. Aaaaaand now I'm wide awake. I don't want that feeling to go away. Its total euphoria. God I sound like I'm nuts.. lol...

Now I have felt really good all day...again, thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate them so much!
No, you don't sound like you're nuts; you sound like you're grieving, which is exactly what you should sound like right now.

We've all been there, or know that we will one day, or both. We understand about the phantom footsteps in our sleep, and the body that wants to wake up to feed the cat who is no longer there to be fed, or seeing another cat and feeling that sudden pang, or bursting into tears in the pet food aisle at the supermarket. It happens, and it's normal that it should. Does it sound nuts to you that after my father died I'd burst into tears in the mall when I saw a fancy fishing rod in the window of the sporting goods store and think, "Oh! I should mention that to him; he'd love it!" and then suddenly realize that I couldn't mention it to him? Of course not, because he was my father. Well, Jezabel was also family, and what is normal for a person who has lost a family member is normal, whether that family member was human, or feline, or canine, or any other beloved pet.

This is The Cat Site. This is a safe place to talk about those midnight footsteps on your bed, or what you think of when you encounter neighborhood cats, or any other of the myriad reactions that we have when we lose a cat. The only person here who will criticize you for reacting this way is you, and I wish you would stop criticizing yourself. I don't like it when people say nasty things about my friends.

Margret

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your Jezabel.
When you described her last day and the waiting for the vet, I had a vision of the last moments of my Lola when we called the vet home and he told us he would be there in an hour, and I kept watching the clock both because I wanted Lola to stop suffering and because I wanted that moment never came.
The jump in your heart is too familiar, I know it too well and I felt again while I was reading your words.
It's 16 weeks now since I lost my sweet Lola, pictured in my profile, but the pain is still too strong to bear, sometimes I'm still crying.Now your Jezabel is free from pain and looks over you and thanks you for the life of love you gave her.
RIP Jezabel!

Idleheid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank's Margaret for your sweet words and Antonio...(Your sweet Lola is beautiful) lots of love to you (I'm sorry we share that last moment where our heart jumped and we realize the time has come for our babies to leave us and go home to that place where there is no pain for them, but plenty for us :( ) and us all on the loss of any of our pets...they are loved forever.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss, we all know the heartache of losing them no matter the circumstances. And you feel her presence because she IS still with you, she always will be, you may feel it a lot or maybe not at all, but a part of her spirit will always live with you.

And right now you don't think you could ever bear to deal with this heartache again, but down the line you probably will reconsider and get another kitty and I hope that you do as you and Joe are wonderful parents....but not right now, you will know when the time is right...perhaps one of the cats that you now see on your walks will let you know they need a home, time will tell.

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless....:alright:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, not nuts. And I believe that love never dies, its expression just changes form, from the physical to the spiritual. Nor do I believe that animals are any exception to this. I have so many stories of things like this, and none of them from anyone who was "nuts." You're in pretty good company.

Idleheid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Woke up at 2 or so with thoughts in my head about Jezabel, my sweet cat who died last month) I've been waking up around 2 or 3 am every morning with memories of her. I am collecting them and have started writing about her. I imagine I am ready to write her story, though I will do it slowly. They are happy memories, though I imagine writing about the end is going to be excruciating.

OWNED BY A CAT
(ODE TO JEZABEL)

Young kitten
So soft, so sweet
Mewing and kneading
Your soft little paw in my hand
Begging for food
Kneading love

Strong cat
walking, stalking as you do
Invisible tiger in the grass
"You don’t see me"
But I do

Sitting in the sun as if you own it
Sharpening claws on trees as if you own them
Sharpening claws on me.

I
I am smitten,
Owned by a cat
Whose “eye kisses” make my day
Just a little more sweet.

The blanket is not mine
My legs are not mine
She sleeps between them
And insists on hogging the bed
Until the bed is not mine.

I am in love with a creature
Who wakes me with hairballs
Running around the house at night
Attacker of toilet paper rolls and socks

A tiny dragon slaying mice
Who pounces on spiders
And pulls birds from the sky
To lay them at my feet

And now she lies in my arms
She who was so majestic
And hilarious
And still loved
"Help me" in her eyes
Hardly breathing, frail, and begging for relief
Her soft little paw in my hand

I will release her

Though it will haunt me all my life

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a wonderful poem....I know about a month after Sebastian died in my arms is when the bad feelings really hit me like a tidal wave, so don't be surprised at this. Just hold on, and with time it will even out and you will be able to deal with it a bit better, you never forget it but it becomes less "harsh" when you think back on them.

God Bless....:alright: