Lost my Beauty 2 half hours ago

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss - one of my cats (age 13) has had Rimadyl both via injection and tablets (although I was told by a second vet not to continue with the Rimadyl as the dosage was too high), and have had no probs with it, I certainly wasn't warned about it. Cats can actually lose up to 75% of their kidney function before any symptoms show, so it could be that she did have issues and you didn't know about it. I dont think you will ever know, but you didn't cause this, you were getting her treatment. You could try complaining to the RCVS, but they dont have a good track record for doing anything about them sadly. I am puzzled why he would give an anti-inflammatory for a runny nose though, surely giving something like anti-biotics would have been better.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any information regarding the drugs you listed, but I do hope you find what you need to give you peace of mind.

I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you lost your sweet Beauty. It has been over three months since I lost my Alley and not a day that goes by without me thinking of her and missing her. Whatever happened, Beauty is at peace now and suffering no pain, playing happily over the rainbow bridge. Someday, you will see your dear girl again.

helga06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are definitely medications that can cause kidney damage and failure (as their side-effects). Although I am not familiar with the drug you've mentioned, I have heard of other drugs that had similar results. IE, the drug was given to the cat or dog to alleviate some kind of infection or other minor thing and the cat or dog ended up dying of kidney failure. Of course, these cases are few, but they do happen. In fact, I was just watching the news the other day when they gave a report about a drug, forgot the name, for dogs that had this effect. The way they described it, the vets know the side effects of the drug but are NOT required to tell the owner of the animal. Most of the time, the drug treats a minor illness and this side effect is rare. Sadly, many people who have lost their animals to this do not have any kind of financial recourse to sue the drug company since it is a big industry and the owner is just one person with little financial income.

The only way for you to find out if this is what happened to you is to ask a veteranarian about this drug and its possible side-effects. I'd recommend you asking a vet other than your own, that way the answer isn't biased. That would be my best advice to you.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so very sorry
Your bound to be numb at a time like this, so just take things one day at a time

Remember you will see Beauty again one day, but right now she's having a wonderful time over at the bridge with lots of new friends to play with

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
your Beauty loved you for 17 years! you were so lucky to have her for so long, but it's never long enough, is it?
to you during this painful time...