Lost kittens

Futrvet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family and I left to go on a 1 day trip to a lake, but I have been taking care of a stray and her kittens, so I left some food in their bowl for an early dinner. I came back home early afternoon and find that the mama cat is still here, but her entire litter of 4 have disappeared. What could have happened to them? Did they get hungry and run off by themselves? All of the kittens have been eating solid food. They are almost 2 months old and there is no sign of them.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s possible that Mom moved them for safety since she probably realized you were gone. She might have let them eat and then taken them a distance from any leftover food. Try looking for them just at dusk or even later. Again in early morning. They are getting near the age of first heat so Mom cat will be extra protective of them. Mom cat may be in heat again too so she would want to keep the young ones tucked away if a Tom came courting. Chances are, they are still very close and will slip back quietly for feedings. If possible, you might try getting them spayed and neutered to prevent further vanishing acts and more babies.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
My family and I left to go on a 1 day trip to a lake, but I have been taking care of a stray and her kittens, so I left some food in their bowl for an early dinner. I came back home early afternoon and find that the mama cat is still here, but her entire litter of 4 have disappeared. What could have happened to them? Did they get hungry and run off by themselves? All of the kittens have been eating solid food. They are almost 2 months old and there is no sign of them.

They will be back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Futrvet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The mama cat brought 3 of her babies back around 8:40 p.m. I found out from a neighbor that she had been seen in an abandoned house with her previous litter before so I think she went back there. I'm hoping that the 4th baby shows up though because he is the one known for wondering off a lot. Thanks for your advice!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fourth is likely somewhere nearby or between where mom is and where she took them. Perhaps towards that house. Very glad she showed back up with them!! Thank you for caring about them!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get the mom cat spayed? Can you take the kittens to a shelter so they can be adopted into good homes? I fear what may happen to them if they stay in the wild.