Lost cat from Lafayette, Indiana, PLEASE help!

swooshfinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last Monday night, my little guy, Sox, decided to run away. I believe that he was chasing a neighborhood cat. Sox, and his sister, Beacon, are rescues from the local humane society, and are indoor cats. Sox was able to push out the screen for my bedroom window and I have not seen him since. I live in a pretty good sized apartment complex which has a few small ponds on one side, a school and residential area on one side, and a few open lots on the others. I have a posting on Craigslist and Facebook through the Humane Society's Lost and Found Pet group. I am kind of running out of ideas of where to look if at this point in time if he would ever make it back to my apartment on his own. He is partially declawed, doesn't wear a collar and is not microchipped.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here is a picture of Sox:

View media item 217901

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put out some used litter as his sisters scent is familiar.  Also a shirt you wear overnight.  May want to look into renting a trap to place next to your entrance(or if it is a communal entrance put it somewhere you can clearly see but hidden from most others view)  Do you live on first floor?  I would leave window open a crack at all times when possible to get scent out further.  Did you place flyers in communal areas?

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also do not rely on shelter staff to find your cat.  Go in person often to all the possible shelters/rescues and leave a flyer and also leave one at all local vets in case cat was brought in for treatment injured or as a stray.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Print up some pictures of Sox. Knock on the neighbors doors and let folks know your cat is missing.

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The best thing is to flood your neighborhood with flyers with a picture of Sox and the word "reward" in large letters. Chances are that someone has seen him but won't go looking for ads online assuming that he's a stray or outside cat. It's also possible that someone have taken him in thinking he's a stray. You need to reach these people and the way to do that is with flyers around the complex and at stores where local people go, etc.

Also, if possible, leave a window open with a ladder or something else leading up to it so he can climb in. I had a little run away come back this way. Also leave food below the window along with some dirty litter. A trap in the same area is a good idea too. Ask the humane society where you can rent or borrow one.

(Just a reminder for everyone else, it's reasons like these that collars and tags should be worn at all times by all cats, even if they're microchipped, since any cat can get out at any times. The tag should have the wording "I'm Lost" to let a finder know that the cat is lost and not an outside cat. The presence of a collar will let people know that it's an owned cat and not a stray.)

I'm keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that Sox comes home soon!

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live in Lafayette, list him on "Lost & Found Pets of Greater Lafayette" thru Facebook. When I found a cat , I was able to look thru & list the cat on the site without being a Facebook member.

I just looked thru todays listing and did not see your kitty...
Good luck ! I hope he comes home soon !

Lisa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swooshfinn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted him on the Lost and Found page back on the 8th and finally on Craigslist also. Had one sighting and a close look-alike.

Is it possible he might try to make his way back to my old apartment on the other side of town?