lost cat came home... to new cat.

vastra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had not planned on getting another cat when Snowball disappeared, but a feral kitten needed me and I am not one to turn away an animal in need. Tonight, I found snowball! I am beyond happy that she is safe at home! But now I fear she may think she was replaced, which is not the case AT ALL. So far she has ignored the kitten, Strax, and perhaps I am just placing too many human emotions on my cats... But is this ok? Is it SAFE? I will be taking Snowball for a checkup at the vet next week, because she was away for a week and a half, and I want to make sure she didn't pick up any parasites. Any advice?Attached is a photo of Snowball.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vastra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Note: I hope I put this in the right forum...

aapelca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When ever you bring home a new cat, your other cats will most likely at first feel depressed and replaced.  They might even ignore the other cat.  But try to get them together at separate times threw out the day and introduce them to each other slowly.  And most important, spend as much time with your snowball as you used to.   Don't give all your attention to the new kitten.  I don't know if your kitten needs bottle feeding or not, or what health conditions it is in for you to need to care for it, but try to give equal attention, and let snowball know you still love him, and that he is just as much apart of your life as he was before he went missing.  I went through this with my 3 other older cats when I brought home a few day old kitten who needed to be hand raised.  They went through that depressed stage, but eventually came around and now they are all brothers and love to play.  My youngest is 6.5 weeks old now.  Hope this helps.  Good Luck!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should definitely keep them separated until Snowball (love that name for a black cat. Simpsons fan?) can be checked out by the vet. You don't want any cross infection from either of them. Has the feral been vetted?

vastra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Apologies. My phone has been haywire this week. I've been keeping them separate the last few days ad my vet cannot see either of them until next week. (Small town vet. No walk ins, appointments WAAAY ahead of time. Sigh.). Snowball seems to be drooling profusely today, but I am watching her. My appointment is for Wednesday but I am going to call and bug them on Monday because this drooling seems serious. Meanwhile, she is separate fro. The other cats and I am washing my hands between contact (just in case). I'm so worried!

vastra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much