Lost about 4 lbs in an year/IBD or SCL? (Maybe EPI)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is always a good sign, no matter what the diagnosis, if a cat eats and seems to be himself. Please let us know what you find out.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gaining weight is definitely a good sign. The ability to gain weight knocks out one of the chief concerns I have about surgery. With my Krista, there was no way I was putting her through it because she was actively losing weight and anything she lost recovering from the surgery was not coming back until we got to the root of it and started treating it. In my estimation, the drug was less risk than the diagnosis. But it doesn’t seem Sonic is there yet. If he’s gaining weight, then he’s certainly less risk than a cat that’s losing weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

S&Kdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. Sorry about the delay in posting Sonic follow up. His GI test results came 2 days back and the vet gave me a call and she told me the his pancreas is not producing any enzymes. Also, his B12 levels are very low. She said the report is strongly suggesting that he might have Exocrine Pancreatic insufficiency. The vet also motioned that SCL might be out of the equation. Pheww !!! Thank god !!!

With this new finding the plan of action is to add the pancreatic enzyme in every meal. Along with B12 shots once a week. She did ask me to continue giving the prednisone and but asked me to give Metaclopramide if he vomits or if he has loose stools.
I have an appointment schedule today in the evening to learn how to administer B12 shots at home. And the vet is claiming that once we put the plan in action we should be able to see Sonic gaining weight and can go back to his regular diet rather than the PR wet food.

I'm confused with the instructions on how to feed him and have got few questions which I'm hoping you guys can help me out here:

As per Vet's instruction is to feed the supplement powder (1/4 tea spoon) in every meal and to divide the meals 3 to 4 times through out the day.

Here is where my mind gets foggy. The supplement powder must be mixed in the food and need to add warm water and let it sit for 15 mins. This activates the enzymes? How do I add this in Dry food ?

I have already got the enzyme powder and following the above instructions from the vet. But Sonic doesn't eat all the food at once. He eats very little in intervals. Would this be effective ? From my limited knowledge and research, it looks like enzymes won't be active for prolonged period of time.

Also, he isn't really fond of this supplements taste. I was thinking to buy some size 3 gelatin empty capsules and feed him directly ? But this plan of mine contradicts the vet's instructions. What do you guys think ?

Sonic gets Fortiflora everyday during last meal of the day and he absolutely loves it. Can I add and mix Fortiflora along with the pancreatic enzymes?

Final question: Should I continue giving Metaclopramide to aid his GI track ?

Looking forward for some insights from you guys. Thank you in advance.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know human beings can take pancreatic enzyme capsules following a meal, so I am not sure why that can't be the same for cats. If that is the case, feeding dry food should be less of an issue. That is question #1 for your vet. There are also chews for cats, if you think he would eat the chews. A compounding pharmacy could even make chews that match the ingredients/strength of the supplement your vet is recommending and flavor them if need be (think FortiFlora's liver flavoring). Question #2 for your vet. Question #3 for your vet (or, maybe a compounding pharmacy) would be to ask about the eating only a bit at a time and how much that will impact the effectiveness of the enzymes. Perhaps, the chews could be broken into parts and added as he eats? Unless it takes your cat hours to go through one meal, IMO, it probably isn't terribly impacting, but a good question, nonetheless.

As far as the Metaclopramide - does he take it now? Or is this something that the vet wants you to do if he should get sick with the new food/enzyme protocol? From what little I know this med is to help digestive motility, in that it stimulates the smooth muscle in the digestive tract to contract more frequently, which helps food to go through digestion more quickly. It aids in reducing food build up in the stomach and the possible associated bloating. It also helps to alleviate nausea. I guess that is Question #4 for your vet to get clarity in terms of when to use it.

I tried looking up other threads on this site related to pancreatic enzymes but didn't have much luck. I will look a little harder...

S&Kdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know human beings can take pancreatic enzyme capsules following a meal, so I am not sure why that can't be the same for cats. If that is the case, feeding dry food should be less of an issue. That is question #1 for your vet. There are also chews for cats, if you think he would eat the chews. A compounding pharmacy could even make chews that match the ingredients/strength of the supplement your vet is recommending and flavor them if need be (think FortiFlora's liver flavoring). Question #2 for your vet. Question #3 for your vet (or, maybe a compounding pharmacy) would be to ask about the eating only a bit at a time and how much that will impact the effectiveness of the enzymes. Perhaps, the chews could be broken into parts and added as he eats? Unless it takes your cat hours to go through one meal, IMO, it probably isn't terribly impacting, but a good question, nonetheless.

As far as the Metaclopramide - does he take it now? Or is this something that the vet wants you to do if he should get sick with the new food/enzyme protocol? From what little I know this med is to help digestive motility, in that it stimulates the smooth muscle in the digestive tract to contract more frequently, which helps food to go through digestion more quickly. It aids in reducing food build up in the stomach and the possible associated bloating. It also helps to alleviate nausea. I guess that is Question #4 for your vet to get clarity in terms of when to use it.

I tried looking up other threads on this site related to pancreatic enzymes but didn't have much luck. I will look a little harder...
Thank you for the inputs FeebysOwner FeebysOwner
I have asked some of the question you mentioned to the vet via email. I'm waiting on her reply.

Q1 and Q2 - The chews aren't effective compared to the powdered supplement, this is what vet told me during our initial phone call and also, I did research on the same topic and it turns out the most effective way is to mix it along with the food itself. however, I have asked the same question to the vet

Q3- I asked the same question to the nurse( Vet was out of office yesterday) when I took sonic to get his B12 shot and learn how to administer at home.

I'm giving him metaclopramide once in the morning. Previously I was giving him twice. But I'm not sure if should continue. I did ask the vet and I would get more clarity on that once she replies me back.

Also, I recently starting logging Sonic's litter box activities and noticed that his pee volume is a lot higher (Bigger clump) and the number of times - peeing is higher too. I'm using knuckles as the baseline for comparison of volume and frequency. I did mention this to Vet as well.

EPI is very rare in cats. Matter of fact, my Vet told me that EPI in cats is so rare that Texas A&M people asked if they can use Sonic to study more on EPI, which involves drawing more blood once or twice in a week/month or so. I told my vet that we would help once Sonic is active, healthy and after he gains some weight. He had way too many test done on him and I don't want him to get stressed more.

aryia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey I'm sorry to revive an old thread. I just wanted to add that I was plenty surprised when my vet told me oral B12 would work just as well since I did not want to stress my cat out with shots. I found a sublingual liquid supplement on Amazon (BioActive Vegan Vitamin B12 Sublingual Liquid Supplement) and dilute it myself and add it to my girl's food every night. Her B12 levels were retested and they were normal, indicating that the supplement does seem to work. I feel like this route is more cost-effective and much less stressful for the both of us.

Also my vet was able to diagnose SCL via Endoscopy samples if that is still in question.. should be cheaper and less invasive than straight out surgery.

Good wishes and hope everyone is well

S&Kdad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey I'm sorry to revive an old thread. I just wanted to add that I was plenty surprised when my vet told me oral B12 would work just as well since I did not want to stress my cat out with shots. I found a sublingual liquid supplement on Amazon (BioActive Vegan Vitamin B12 Sublingual Liquid Supplement) and dilute it myself and add it to my girl's food every night. Her B12 levels were retested and they were normal, indicating that the supplement does seem to work. I feel like this route is more cost-effective and much less stressful for the both of us.

Also my vet was able to diagnose SCL via Endoscopy samples if that is still in question.. should be cheaper and less invasive than straight out surgery.

Good wishes and hope everyone is well
Thank you Ariya. Your alternative method for B12 is really good. Perhaps, you should post this finding in other threads. It's might be helpful to other owners as well. Also, for sonic it is confirmed that he has EPI and I'm feeding him liver enzymes. He has gained significant amount of weight in past few months. He is now 12.5 lbs. I hope your cat get wells soon. This is tons of information on this forums regarding SCL. Good luck.