Lost A Battle To Panleuk A Year Ago..safe To Adopt A 4mo Kitten?

nimeowma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i lost a 4 month old kitten to secondary infection from panleuk in july of last year. my husband and i have since adopted a healthy 1.5 year old cat who was appropriately vaccinated before we brought him home, and we also bleached the floors and cat items repeatedly before doing so as our apartment is all wood and linoleum. i know wood is porous but we did the best job we could and the vaccine seemed to do its job anyway as our new cat has been healthy as can be since we got him last september.

we are in touch with a kind older woman who takes in stray cats to find homes for them, and she has a very pretty 4 month old kitten that we would like to give a permanent home to. today the kitten got her first vaccine for panleuk, and after three weeks she'll go again for the second shot. do you think the kitten will be okay even though she is so young? and if we do take her home, how long should we wait to do so after the second immunization is administered? i've read the virus can live a long time in the environment.

i know i should probably ask a vet for peace of mind but seeing as we live in beijing and even healthcare for humans seems to be very hit-or-miss, i simply do not trust the word of the vets here. one animal hospital even lied to us about our kitten having some kind of worm after diagnosing her with panleuk to get us to spend money on more medication for her; the second hospital we took her to said she didn't have them at all. so i hope someone here can help me, just speak plainly and honestly and let me know if we should hold off on getting a kitten so soon after the last. losing her was so painful i cannot knowingly put another being through that experience again, no matter how pretty she is or how much i want to bring her home. thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nimeowma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
by the way, here is the new kitten for anyone interested:

i2u6AO0.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think it will be perfectly fine. Feline Panleukopenia can survive for up to a year in the environment, and since it's been that length of time, you've bleached everything, and the kitten is vaccinated, I think it should be safe.

That kitten is gorgeous, by the way! Does she have a name yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nimeowma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it will be perfectly fine. Feline Panleukopenia can survive for up to a year in the environment, and since it's been that length of time, you've bleached everything, and the kitten is vaccinated, I think it should be safe.

That kitten is gorgeous, by the way! Does she have a name yet?
thanks a lot for your response, it's very reassuring.

we plan to name her ginkgo, after our last kitten :D my husband was really attached to the name, as well as the kitten, and i think he finds the idea of giving a new kitten the same name soothing somehow. we both still break down thinking about her sometimes. i plan to call our new cat gigi myself, it sounds similar phonetically to both my mother's name as well as the name of a close friend who both helped me emotionally through our last kitten's week at all the hospitals. she will be the namesake of many!