Loss of Muscle Mass

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So my 16 year old boy has basically a touch of CRF (early stage II), a touch of Hyperthyroidism, not enough to treat and may possibly have cancer someplace.

I have never had cat make it this long before so I am really wondering about the various issues.

One thing is that he has muscle loss in his back legs. It really is quite severe. I had though he had arthritis but now I am wondering if his shakey back legs are due to muscle loss.

If so, is there anything I can do? Or is this just a natural part of aging.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So my 16 year old boy has basically a touch of CRF (early stage II), a touch of Hyperthyroidism, not enough to treat and may possibly have cancer someplace.

I have never had cat make it this long before so I am really wondering about the various issues.

One thing is that he has muscle loss in his back legs. It really is quite severe. I had though he had arthritis but now I am wondering if his shakey back legs are due to muscle loss.

If so, is there anything I can do? Or is this just a natural part of aging.
Muscle loss or wasting in the hind legs can be caused either by aging or illness. Hyperthyroidism is one of the illnesses that can cause this, as can diabetes. If he does have arthritis the muscle loss could contribute to his instability. My 14 year old is borderline for both CRF and hyperthyroid and the muscle loss is what prompted my vet to do bloodwork at her last visit.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Muscle mass loss is common in aging cats as well as cats with various illnesses in general, as mentioned above.

However, if the muscle mass is just specifically in the hind legs, that adds to the possibilities of causes. What signs are you seeing to indicate muscle mass loss primarily in the hind legs? How about his lower back/spine area?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Muscle mass loss is common in aging cats as well as cats with various illnesses in general, as mentioned above.

However, if the muscle mass is just specifically in the hind legs, that adds to the possibilities of causes. What signs are you seeing to indicate muscle mass loss primarily in the hind legs? How about his lower back/spine area?
It is very thin back there / lower back spine and legs and he seems to really have trouble walking. As if he doesn't feel his back legs and or as if there is an apple between his legs and he walks with them wide.

The vet did say he has "some muscle wasting" but I am not sure if the vet saw him standing / walking around.