Loss Of Cat

Hearts&wires

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone ,New member long time lurker.
I felt the need to post as 2 days ago our beloved Polly passed away.
We came home and found her in her favourite sleeping spot ,looking stretched out and relaxed ,but she was gone for the big sleep . It's absolutely heartbreaking as she was a healthy kitty on and off with keeping her self clea,she was a long hair so we always tried to keep her clean and help with grooming her, never sick ,and only had small problems. She was approaching 7 years. She was born the runt and weakest of her litter ,I'm not sure would this be one of the reasons of her sudden death?
In her last days she was fine ,being herself eating normally and everything. Until when we arrived home and found her. I just needed to share this as it helps and maybe you guys wisdom and help might find us have some closure. I've never experienced a loss of a pet as extreme and difficult as Polly. Thank you for reading .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hearts&wires

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And we do have another Cat Luna ,and he is,perfectly fine and was there when Polly passed away .

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - thanks ever so much for coming here, and I am so very sorry to hear. It may have been her heart gave out what with it being abrupt.
She knew love with you - she will always be remembered, and thank you for loving on Luna.
A moderator may move this to Crossing The Bridge section --which would be a reference to the Rainbow Bridge where our beloved pets wait for us :heartshape:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again, I'm quoting from a member of this site who has wonderful thoughts which may help you, this below is a small part.
  • It hurts as much as it hurts. There is no right or wrong about how much the loss of a pet "should" hurt. The fact is that our pets are family members; they aren’t “just” anything; and anyone who says “It was just a cat” is demonstrating a gross lack of understanding. And the loss of a family member should be painful.
  • It takes as long as it takes. There is no set period of time within which grieving should end, not for the loss of a parent, or a child, or a spouse, or a friend, or a pet. Some people do their grieving quickly; others of us take longer, and it’s important to take whatever time you need to complete your grieving. And remember, this is still a family member we’re talking about. People who say “It’s already been six months; don’t you think it’s time you got over the death of your cat?” would never think of saying “It’s already been six months; don’t you think it’s time you got over the death of your mother?” No, I’m not saying that your cat was as important to you as your mother. I am saying that grief doesn’t always make that kind of fine distinction, and if you expect it to do so you’re going to be seriously confused and hurt.
  • The only way to the other side of grief is straight through the middle. There are no shortcuts, no bypasses. Any attempt to cut the process short, or avoid it altogether, merely ensures that you will never complete

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Yes, it may well have something to do with her being the runt; there may have been some congenital defect that made her smaller and weaker than the others. If so, it's to your credit that she lived as long as she did.

You can find my full post on grieving here: Grieving, but since it goes into detail about my own grief over the loss of my heart kitty Sweet Thing it may be difficult to read right now; that's up to you. Furballsmom Furballsmom has given you the main points from it.

Take as long as you need to grieve for Polly, and take care of yourself and the rest of your family, both the ones with two legs and the ones with four. It may be wise to supplement some B vitamins for the humans; they seem to help the body deal with stress.

And be aware that we're always available to give you a shoulder to cry on when you need it.
:grouphug2: :hugs: :alright:

Rest in peace, sweet Polly :rbheart:. You were and are loved. You will be remembered.

Margret

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you lost your little sweetheart, sometimes these bad things just happen without much reason, sometimes we'll never know why.

I am sure that she loved her life with you as you loved her, but she is fine now in the next life, no pain or issues, just fine, and you will see her again someday and it will be wonderful.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss of your sweet Polly. It is such shock to lose a beloved cat companion suddenly. It could have been an undiagnosed heart condition. That's what happened with my Tiger recently. He was acting like his normal self one morning and a couple hours later he was just gone. I hope you can find comfort in knowing that you gave her a loving home and a happy life. You were both blessed to have each other and she will always be in your heart. It will take time for you to heal but it will happen. Give lots of loves to Luna and you can help each other through this. I'm sending you prayers. :alright:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of your Polly! It really hurts to loose a loved one, and when they are taken suddenly and too young it is a shock, as well as painful. Be kind to yourself, and take the time you need to grieve for her. Comforting thoughts and wishes sent your way.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss Hearts&wires Hearts&wires It must have been a terrible shock to find her like that. It might have been a heart condition or a stroke, cats suffer from these just as people do. It's very difficult to diagnose these kind of conditions. I don't think there is anything you could have done.

It sounds as if she passed quickly without suffering at all. I hope you can take some comfort from that.

I've moved your thread to our Crossing The Bridge forum. You'll find some sticky threads at the top of this forum that might help.

Rest in Peace Polly.

:angel:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. Know that Polly knew you loved her and that she was a special part of your heart. I am glad that Luna was there with her.

I do understand. I came home one afternoon from work and found my Banshee on the kitchen floor. I think her heart just gave out; it was time for her to go. Like Polly. We don't always know why; all we can do is give them as much love as we can. They know.

My heart goes out to you. I am so very sorry.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are always so many questions and feelings of doubt and anguish over a completely unexpected death like this, it leaves us drifting and unsure. A sudden death like this is almost always related to a heart defect, and yes, it could have been present from birth. There is nothing that can change what happened, I hope you can take comfort in the fact it was sudden and that she died at home in the place she loved, surrounded by the love that dwells there for her, that now she is at peace. Celebrate having her in you life, she brought so much to it. She was in your life for a reason, to have never known her at all would be tragic.
She took a piece of your heart with her when she left, but she left a piece of hers behind to bring you comfort. She would never want you to be so sad, leave that sadness in the past and go to the future with the help of her legacy of love she left for you. Just as you would want for her if you were the first to go. Because that is what love is, only wanting the best for the one you love.
I'm so sorry for your pain, it hurts, it is equal to your love. Take care of yourself and those left behind, you all need each other now in this time of mourning......RIP dear Polly. You will never be forgotten and will forever hold a place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you until you meet again.
X

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is always hard when we lose our fur friends. I think it is worse when it happens unexpectedly. Most of us have been through that kind of loss. When they leave, they take a big part of us and the hole remains. We just learn to live with it. I will say this. When I lost Max, my soul mate, I wrote his life story. I included some pictures and the Rainbow Bridge poem. I put it all in a folder and saved it. That happened in 2005. I didn't want to forget even the smallest detail of the things he did that made life so sweet living with him. I still read it from time to time. I am always reminded of things I would have forgotten. Also, it was therapy to write it. I believe it was part of my healing process. You might consider doing that when you feel better and can do it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My heartfelt sympathies go out to you on the loss of Polly. :hugs: Many years ago we also had a cat named Polly, I've always liked that name. She was one of three kittens in a litter and had the sweetest nature. I think it helps knowing Luna was with her and she was not alone. RIP sweet angel. :angel:
If you would like to post a pic of Polly or Luna you can do so here: Fur Pictures and Videos Only!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Polly. As others have said, it could have been an undetected heart problem. Please don't feel guilty, there's no way you could have known. I'm glad you have Luna to comfort you during this difficult time. RIP, sweet little Polly. :rbheart: