loss of cat sibling in the family

Sorayachina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had 2 cats. brothers from the same litter. there had been 4 in the litter and they were the two that survived. they were VERY close. one fell suddenly i’ll and died within two days. the remaining cat is devastated. it’s having human sized emotions at the loss of his brother. he doesn’t know what to do with himself. i am also so sad. not only for the loss of my other cat, but to see the other cats sadness. it’s almost like loosing my two happy fur balls. i have spent the past two days with him and will spend the weekend with him, but i feel so bad leaving him alone. he’s definitely a social cat. he is not a loner. i don’t know how to pull through this with him. he is about 9 months old .

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is going to have to deal with his loss on his own terms, as most anyone, including humans, do. All you can do is give him the kind of attention that he likes best from you - and as much of it and as often as you can. When leaving him alone, you might try heartbeat toys or even a ticking clock to possibly soothe him. Make sure he has worn, unwashed clothing of yours left in places he is most inclined to hang out. You can also try distractions for him, such as automated toys, or cat music.

He is young enough that you might be able to bring a new buddy in the near future to help fill his void.

I am sorry for all the losses you have gone through recently.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Sweet Friend, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner gave you excellent advice. And the idea of a new kitten, about his same age and temperament, is an excellent one. He will never take the place of your lost cat, for either of you, but can, if allowed, make his very own place, and provide company for your surviving boy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry 😞

Let me give you some specifics that can help him get through the transition.

For cat music, there is classical harp music, or harp music written for cats. There is also RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats, and other sources including Spotify and YouTube.

You might be able to set up your phone or laptop with music with purring in it, or even just purring without music.

If you are stateside, there is a comfort "toy" that has heartbeats, purrs, and a microwaveable heat pack that several stores are carrying;

Amazon.com

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For you both to get through grieving it takes time, and lots of it.
Of course, he is sad and lonely, cats absolutely hate change, and this is devastating. It will take at least two weeks for him to begin to process what happened, even longer for you. He is definitely young enough to appreciate a new adopted brother, females are too territorial and don't like to play once they are older. Not like two boys anyway. It would distract both of you from your sadness, I wouldn't doubt that your cat that died won't send you another little angel to care for on his own. It happens often, keep your eyes open.
You can NEVER replace that precious boy, but you can help his love grow even bigger by adding more love into your heart to reside beside it and help it to bloom and grow into something even more precious. Don't worry, you acn never replace his love, love is spiritual, so eternal. You will forever have a bond of love with your boys......