Loss of balance suddenly

mandi86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here. Sorry for this lengthy posy.
I was fostering a kitten for several months. She was about 6 weeks old when I took her, and she was about 7-8 months old when she started having this issue. I came home from work one evening to find her limping. I tried to get her to the shelter vet but due to a whole list of complications, I couldn't get her there. She seemed to improve after 2 days but then started having issues with her front paw. The next day, she was unable to walk at all and constantly fell over. The vet said nothing was broken and they were going to keep her for observation for a few days. I got a call about 10 mins after I left saying that she started seizing and due to the severity of it, they euthanized her. I have checked the area she was in for anything that may have poisoned her and found nothing. I can't find anything that could have fallen on her or injured her. They said that she might have been born with a defect in her brain that didn't surface until now. She lived with my 4 cats and none of them are having any issues. No changes in behavior or appetite. No other symptoms. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had something like this happen but I think something congenital is a possibility.  I have heard of congenital liver issues that show up later with similar symptoms when the kitten or puppy for that matter gets bigger and the liver can know longer do it's job for a larger animal.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
First, I am so sorry for your loss! I can imagine your shock at the situation.

We won't for sure be able to tell you what happened; however, several things cross my mind.

1.) A saddle thrombus due to a congenital heart defect/disease (like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy). This is when a blood clot is thrown and goes to the spinal cord. Can also cause a stroke.

2.) Virulent strain of Calicivirus. You mention that you first noticed her limping on one leg and then it switched to another. Calicivirus can cause something called "Limping Kitten Syndrome" and causes limb pain that is often migratory. The virulent strain of Calici can wreck havoc in the body and cause death.

3.) There is certainly the possibility of a degenerative brain disease. My family lost a 3 year old in Nov 2014 to this. We got the diagnosis via a necropsy (animal autopsy.). He had presented with some atypical symptoms, but ultimately had a massive stroke/seizure and passed away at home.

4.) I know FIP can reside in the bone marrow and attack that way. Though this is very rare. I'm not sure if this would present with other symptoms or not.

Had the kitten ever been tested for Feline Leukemia?

My guess is that the risk to your other cats is very low. You can always throw away/clean with bleach or get a cleaner from your vet if you want to take extra precautions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mandi86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was tested for Leukemia. It was negative. Is calicivirus the ulcers in the mouth? She had a bad uri when she first came to me but that has long since cleared. No ulcers with her. I just want to try and make sure that if this was due to my oversight somehow, it won't happen with my future fosters. I've pulled about 20 since July but she was with me longest and was the only one that had this issue.