Loss of Appetite After Surgery

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pat knows what she is talking about. I'd take her suggestions for my cat over anyone else I know. And I totally understand worrying about your cat not eating since I just went through this with Jake. It's so hard to get them to eat and drink and takes a lot of work. For Jake, I blended canned food with water and gave it to him in a syringe 2-3 times a day. And each time I'd give 20-30cc. I think this helped him get his appetite back more then anything. Once they become anorexic, it's hard for them to break that cycle. I'm thinking about you and Humble and sending prayers your way!

Tammie

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

The vet gave him some fluids/ he is a little dehydrated. The vet says to give him some pedialyte.

Has anyone heard of this?
Yup

Originally Posted by batgirl2good

I got him some tuna in oil, and he ate a little tiny bit, not even half a spoonful. Roasted chicken did not appeal to him at all.

Vet says he has to stay on the renal food; he could still have kidney failure, and that is why he has to have benazepril every day for the rest of his life.
Dr. Morgan says he is not worried, that Humble will be ok.

I am to call in the morning.
Y'all, I am afraid my cat will die from dehydration or from loss of appetite, etc.
I told the vet, who reassured me.

ANY IDEAS, just to get him eating some more?

How much gatorade or pedialyte to give? I got cherry flavored and plain.
I also got a bottle of gatorade.

Is half an eye dropper full too much? That would be maybe 1/4 of a teaspoonful.
I know that with Kitters I had to give her the pedialite and one she started getting that in she started eating more.. With the pedialite they say:
2-4 ml per pound per hour! So since Kitters is 7 lbs. she needed between 14-28ml every hour! Now, we did not give it to her every hour. And she did not take that much. Seeing as how the vet said he was just mild I'd say, get what you can in him without going over the recommended amount and without him wanting to bite you for ticking him off it will be good and better than without any! Try his wet food and maybe try heating it a little to get the smell waffing around! PM me if you want to talk.. I will get home in about an hour!! I'm thinking of ya hon!

Jill

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mix Pedialyte (plain) with Sheba's K/D canned to make it a little soupy, and heat it in the microwave (6 seconds warms it just enough).

You can also ask your vet to prescribe an appetite stimulant if you're worried he's not eating enough. You'll still need to coax him to eat. They get hungry on an appetite stimulant, but if they're not feeling well, they may not seek out food. Keep him near food, water and a litterbox at all times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humble is going to be fine, according to the vet. He gave more fluids and said basically the same thing that you did. He told me that c/d is good and gave me a can of k/d prescription diet food and a can of eukanuba multi-stage renal canned food. It is a matter of finding what he will eat.

I have dry c/d food and dry eukaunba multi-stage renal as well.

Hopefully, after this 3rd round of fluids, Humble will get back to normal.
The vet said that a little boiled chicken and rice is ok; he would prefer that i keep things like tuna to a minimum because of the work that the kidneys have to do to get rid of it all.

Dr. Morgan knows of this site and respects it. He says he does not want to go to appetite stimulants just yet. He thinks this 3rd round of fluids will help.
He will tell me if and when it is time to go to assisted feeding.

I joined both groups that Pat recommended and am reading. I am prepared to do whatever it takes to get my baby well.

ulualoha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Humble....I have a couple kitties not eating very well, one is because of renal failure like your Humble. She did not want to eat for a while and I was getting terribly worried. My vet was getting frustrated with my daily calls and finally my vet prescribed cyproheptadine to encourage her appetite. It took trying a lot of different combinations of foods to finally get her to eat. She now likes k/d dry food and once in a while I can get her to eat k/d wet food mixed with what I now have to call, junk food kitty food (ie Whiska, etc). I have actually been able to taper that back by just adding the gravy from the bad food to her wet food. Humble does need to eat to keep strong. You need to make sure if you can to avoid fish diets but if that is all Humble will eat that's more important to keep the weight on. Ideally, Humble should have turkey/chicken based diets over fish but the key component is the protein levels which you should ask your vet to explain to you. If you can manage it and give Humble subcutaneous fluids daily, that would be best if you haven't started that already. You can also ask the vet about giving Humble pepcid. That helped my babies too. I wish you all the luck!

Many hugs,
Terri