Losing Weight

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many ways to lose weight, but the one that works the best and keeps the weight off for good is to change eating habits towards healthy, whole, unprocessed foods. Sometimes that means re-training the taste buds.

The sweet tooth disappears after cutting out refined sugar (and anything containing refined sugar). It takes about 2 weeks and then it's amazing how sweet real foods taste - fruits (some vegetables, too) become as sweet as you could ever want.

Here's what worked for me: I eat mostly foods that are in their natural state. Raw is best, but cooked is fine, too. The more the food is tampered with, the less chance that I'll eat it.

Convenience foods or meals that are boxed or frozen are fine occasionally too, but you have to carefully check that the ingredients are all whole foods that you would eat anyway.

Eat fruits, vegetables, meats, nuts, and seeds, and drink lots of water. Stay away from processed flours, sugars, and oils; and treat artificial sweeteners, colors, and flavors like the poisons they are. Run far away from high-fructose corn syrup, it is very, very bad and will pack on the pounds and push you towards diabetes.

A typical breakfast: an egg, sprouted grain (no flour) toast with butter, and coffee with cream - never gonna give up my cup of coffee in the morning!. Sometimes, I have french toast with maple syrup. One of my favorite drinks right now is sparkling water with fresh lemon juice - sometimes with a spoonful of honey. A sample dinner: roasted chicken with gravy thickened with oats (or baked fish or grilled pork chops) with roasted vegetables and a fresh green salad - will leave you wanting for nothing and feeling great!

Good luck in your efforts!

*I gained 40 lbs. during the first 3 years after having our baby, which is when my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis was triggered and I went into major hypothyroidism that went undiagnosed by my doctors, despite my repeated efforts to get help. (One doctor thought he'd solve my problem by telling me to "cut out eating steaks" when, at the time, I had been a vegetarian for 17 years - and exercised daily.)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

Not sure what it is about onions I don't like. Maybe the taste and texture combined. I don't think I have ever had spanish onions. I would probably eat green onion, I suppose.

I do use garlic/onion powder often, actually. Along with most other common spices.

I eat carrots, broccoli (raw mostly). I will eat cauliflower depending how its cooked (like in stirfry). Peppers, corn, tomatoes yes. The rest, definitely not.

Not a huge fan of beans in general, but I will force myself to eat green/yellow beans sometimes.

I LOVE eggs.

I eat white rice and brown rice.

Not a big fan of seafood either. I eat haddock and pollock. Hate shrimp!

Lastly, I have never tried bamboo or water chestnuts.
If you've never had it, that means you are open to trying it.