Losing Her Mane-also Oily Back End

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So Lily "had" grown a very long mane, I've never really noticed it before,maybe she's always had it? Long white hair mane, almost looks like a bib. Anyway, she's losing it. Its coming out in chunks and shedding alot and whats left of it,is very unkempt and straggly. I'm assuming it's her just shedding her winter coat. I try to brush her chest but she does NOT like that area being brushed. I can only get a few strokes in,and normally from the side. Should I try cutting it?
Then I noticed her back end, near her tail, has little white flakey things like dandruff,and is a little oily. I wonder if shes too big (fat) too reach to groom there. She is slightly over weight, she's almost 16 lbs, which surprisingly not obese according to her vet. She's "just a big cat" said her vet.
Anyway,here is a picture I took of her this morning, couldn't get her to stand still long enough to get a full front picture.
LilyMarch18.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It probably is just her winter coat coming out. There are some long hair breeds that have drastically different winter and summer coats. Have you tried a brush glove so it is more of a petting motion then brushing? I wouldn't trim it unless it starts becoming matted.

Her rear is probably not because of overweight but just its more to groom then she is used to. Not just on the rear but her entire coat. Figuring out a way to brush or even giving her a bath might help on both count. Maybe even those cat bath wipes could help with the coat appearance. Here is a body condition chart but I know long hair cats can look deceptive when their coats come in. My girl is short hair but her winter coat is different from her summer turning her from a sleek trim cat to a poof ball even though she doesn't gain weight.

The other factor may be diet, some cats get dandruff and oil when there is something wrong with their diet. But I lean more towards it just that between coats look.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A full bath with a good conditioning cat shampoo is always nice, especially when they start the spring shedding.
Another thing i do, and someone else mentioned it the other day too. Wet one of those micro fiber cloths and rub her down with that. It will help with the oily, not quite groomed hair. then try to brush her a bit.