Losing Hair On Belly

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been loosing hair on her belly for the last few months. At first I thought it was allergy related, so I took removed all plastic bowls and she now has glass, I removed fish and chicken from her diet. She is now on a duck diet (she’s been on this diet almost 2 months) but she still has a bunch of hair loss on her belly. I just noticed today there looks to be a red mark, almost like a scrap but it’s under the skin.

She also gets frequent open sores on her chin.

It’s not fleas, I have dealt with fleas before and have been checking her frequently.

Any ideas? I’m thinking allergies but my vet has been no help.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe a Hot Spot? Not only can they be caused by allergies, but also insect bites, wounds/scrapes, too much starch in the diet or simply because of heat and humidity. Hot Spots can be full on sores or simply bald spots (At least at the start, before they can get eventually narly). You can tell too if the location is warm to the touch.

Not only foods can cause allergies, but things like cleaning supplies or fragrances.

Cleaning and keeping the area dry and tidy will help. If your kitty has a lot of fur or long fur, trim it to keep it airy. If it is weather related, make sure she is comfy and cool, with plenty of water.

You can get sprays or shampoos at your local pet store that target hot spots specifically, an associate can assist you with picking the right one. I noticed you are also in Canada! Also things can still vary, I got mine from Pet Valu and Paul Mac's for my polar bear of a Great Pyrenees who used to be prone to Hot Spots during the hot summer months. And they were pretty big ones! Bald patches on her belly, back and hips. Along with a spray, I have been giving her more frequent fresh baths, especially with good soothing shampoos - oatmeal ones included. And of course, keeping the house cool for her. She can really struggle with the heat if we are not careful. In any case, so far no Hot Spots this summer.

Example brands:
| 43785 Products | Pet Valu Pet Store | Pet food, Treats and Supplies
| 43813 Products | Pet Valu Pet Store | Pet food, Treats and Supplies

(Vetericyn Plus Hot Spot Spray is what I personally got for my dog, they also have a antimicrobial gel version for both cats and dogs)

There are of course variants in creams and gels that can be used too, some require Vet's subscription. Cortisone via the vet can help as well, with hopes that your current vet would be more useful! If possible hopefully another one would suffice.

Good luck! It could be something totally different and I could be off (Ringworm? Although I'd assume your vet would have caught it and adamantly took care of it, and you are clearly wonderfully diligent too) Mayhaps other folks will bring up other ideas. But so far that is my current guess.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try some of those sprays! I can honestly say I have never bathed her, she is a bit of a difficult cat. And I would likely loose a limb if I tried.

I don’t think it would be ringworm, she is the only pet in the house and is strictly an indoor cat. Although she hasn’t been of the vet since we moved so who knows. She has an appointment in August so I will get them to check. Hopefully it’s not, I’m 27 weeks pregnant so really don’t want it to be anything contagious

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I have a difficult cat, as well! I know that "It would be worth my life and limbs to try this" reaction very, very well!

Another thing you can try, that can work wonders on all sorts of skin "ouchies," is a wash of chamomile tea. Purchase the plain chamomile tea bags from the grocery store (coffee/tea aisle). Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and apply to the area with a soft cloth or cotton ball. The tea is antibacterial, anti fungal, and wonderfully soothing! I've used is on humans, horses, cats, dogs and rats for all kinds of skin ailments, up to and including eczema and insect bites. Takes the itch and sting right out.

I always recommend the tea bags from the store because ALL commercially prepared tea bags use ONLY German Chamomile, which is medicinally active and safe for cats. The English variety, which grows in most gardens, is useless medicinally, and is toxic to cats. It looks VERY much like the German variety, and it takes someone with experience to know the difference. Better safe than sorry.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Could it be overgrooming and unrelated to the spots on her chin? She could be stressed due to the move or you smelling a bit different because of your pregnancy. If overgrooming is causing it, something like Feliway or Zylkene might help.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What does the vet say about the balding? If you haven't taken the cat to the vet, it's a good idea to do so. There's only so much food changes, etc can do.

8 weeks seems like a long time but for a food trial, it's not much. It takes around 13 weeks or more to see if a food trial helps. Some cats are sensitive to all poultry so if the duck doesn't work out, try rabbit or venison or another novel protein. Avoid vaguely labeled "meat by product" or "animal liver" and other things, too, as you can't be certain what animal those are from.