Los Angeles, Batten The Hatches (or Weather Vibes, please...)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_sybd.html

Huh. Well, lookie at that. I didn't feel anything at all, and there seems to have been a 4.5 and a 4.4 . There was a 3 something or other in Pomona the other day, but that isn't something which I would've felt either.

Good grief. 4's like that can be precursor shakes, and not always at the location of a big one; a big one can be many miles away....

Good thing the EQ kit is out and ready....

You know, in thinking about it, I really could do without that. Floods, rain, storms, being sick for two weeks...and now an earthquake? I'm gonna find a rock, dig a hole, and crawl in it...somewhere dry.

Sigh....

Best-
Michele

mrsd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michele,
Digging a hole in the ground is not the wisest thing to do when an earthquake threatens. Is it?

Stay safe, friend. And practice up on your dodging skills by playing the Atari game Frogger.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't think much of earthquakes over here in NC. So, I'm wondering, what do you keep in your EQ kit? Do you prepare in a similar manner in which we would prepare for a hurricane?

mrsd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by noni

Same up here. 'Course, I have my entire earthquake kit (which would feed a small army for a week) so I'm good to go. [My earthquake kit is rather impressive, if I say so myself; everything up to and including lamps, water purifier tablets, heavy plastic/duct tape and extra medications...]
Hope that helps, dawnofsierra.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't feel the quakes myself, and I was up and at work during the time that they occured. I think they were in the Inland Empire.

As far as the rain situation here in LA goes, they say the worst of it will be sometime on Saturday. I'm going to stay inside and hopefully dry. I like rain, but not this much and not this cold

The rain is causing a lot of sink holes in the streets. This past week, I ran over one, and ended destroyeing one of my tires. Luckily I was able to make it to work, and part way home, when I had to stop and get a new tire.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

We don't think much of earthquakes over here in NC. So, I'm wondering, what do you keep in your EQ kit? Do you prepare in a similar manner in which we would prepare for a hurricane?
Know what? I have no idea how to prepare for a hurricane...MrsD posted some of the things I have in my EQ kit, but it also includes first aid, extra clothes/shoes, and blankets. I keep a smaller version of myEQ kit in my car, in the trunk, and my home EQ kit I keep under the bed (it's a huge, oak raised 4 poster - will likely survive most eq's).

Michele,
Digging a hole in the ground is not the wisest thing to do when an earthquake threatens. Is it?

Stay safe, friend. And practice up on your dodging skills by playing the Atari game Frogger.
MrsD, I have never even heard of Frogger. And no, a hole in the ground is not the best place during an EQ, not to mention it would be seriously muddy right now.

Weather update:

Here is the latest satillite imagery of the storm coming today....
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/WCIR3.html
See the big long "tail" coming through CA? That's it. Big, wet, strong, and bad bad bad.

There is a third storm lurking, too...if you look at the left bottom quarter of the pix, you will see another stream of green/yellow/red. Depending upon the pressure system, that one will hit us either late Sunday night or early Monday morning.

There have been several deaths already reported; some from car accidents, but several from people drowning. Many "fast water rescues" have taken place, and flooding is all over. The winds aren't bad at all - maybe 7 mph from the south at the moment, but they're expected to pick up as the storm moves through.

There is literally no place for the water to go at all. As Hope said, there are sink holes everywhere, and driving is extremely dangerous. I hit a hole last night on the drive home - didn't see it, it was covered by water - and I dented both fenders on the edges. Rest assured I'll avoid that street today. Because yes, I have to go to the office....

That's the morning update! If you're dry and warm, consider yourself lucky!

Best-
Michele

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What can I say... welcome to Scotland
My area has certainly been taking a severe bashing and we've been on flood warnings for well over a week now. Winter hasn't really been snowy, but quite mild and very, very wet. We've had gales up to 60 mph here for the last week or so (quite disconcerting when you're surrounded by trees) and it's been keeping me up all night
Storm damage... well the worst we've had is someone washed into the river this morning, but they've been successfully retrieved and hopefully no-one else will be stupid enough to think that this weather is ideal for fishing.

Batten down the hatches and stay safe - I'm sure you'll get by fine enough.
to everyone!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're having a lull in the storm right now. It's 11:14am here on the West Coast of the USA. It's dark and gloomy but not raining. Thankfully, it's not as cold as it was yesterday.

zanniesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My landlord took advantage of the calm to put plastic over the bad area of the roof. He put wood on it though, to hold it down and I don't have high hopes for it staying there because there is supposed to be a lot of wind with this storm. I get to look forward to reroofing as soon as things dry out. I might board the cats at the vet for that because there will be people coming in to replace the light fixture in the bedroom since that is where the leak came through. Fun, fun, fun. Becky

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by noni

Know what? I have no idea how to prepare for a hurricane...MrsD posted some of the things I have in my EQ kit, but it also includes first aid, extra clothes/shoes, and blankets. I keep a smaller version of myEQ kit in my car, in the trunk, and my home EQ kit I keep under the bed (it's a huge, oak raised 4 poster - will likely survive most eq's).
Sounds as if you're well prepared for any earthquakes, Michele! You're really smart to be so prepared!
Hope you're staying safe and dry!