Lord of the Rings Two Towers

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
But my two favorites were Boromir and Samwise.
Ryan,

I agree with you totally there. Boromir, though tempted, redeems himself in the end. And Samwise never loses his innocence or idea of what is right. Reading the books, I felt that these where the two characters I could learn the most from. To experience evil and turn away from it, and to believe that good would triumph over evil are two very strong lessons.

Christy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I liked how they had some laughable parts of the movie, even if it was meant to be a serious movie.

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lisa and I saw the movie yesterday (saturday). It was time #2 for me, but Lisa hasn't seen it before. We've ecided we want to see it again. Strangely, I liked the movie even more the second time!
Some things I wanted to see in TTT, but didn't:

The Huorns
Shelob
Saruman's palantÃ:censor:r
Merry and Gandalf riding to Minas Tirith on the Hill of Guard

Maybe some of these things will be in the next movie. It was said that this most recent film was supposed to be furthest from the book; and it was, but not in a bad way. They put in all the necessary things. In most book-adapted movies, parts are changed, altering the plot. This is not the way with the LOTR movies. The filmmakers rearrange things, leave some things out, but they keep important elements that move the story along. Without doing that, the LOTR would be utterly un-filmable.
-Ryan

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought Shelob was in the last book. It's been a long time since I read them. Maybe she will be, toward the end Gollum/Smeagol said something like "she will take care of them." I thought he might be referring to Shelob.

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup, that's who Gollum was referring to. Technically, the Two Towers the movie stopped somewhere near the middle of the Two Towers the book.
Shelob begins in TT and ends at the beginning of The Return of the King.
-Ryan

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Saw the movie today-AMAZING! I like how it just jumped right in where the last left off. I didn't find the Gimli humor too inappropriate (but then again, when they were in Helm's Deep, moving the woman and children into the caves, I almost burst into the "Bring out your dead" bit from Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail. Would have been REALLY funny for me, and probably no one else).

Funny story-there were several families sitting behind Dad and I, with a couple pre-teen girls. One was wearing a t-shirt with a picture of Legolas on it. Anyways, every time he was on screen, you could hear a large sigh coming from the girls. I was trying not to laugh too loud.

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am a staunchly hetero-sexual man, but I will admit that Orlando Bloom (Legolas) is a handsome dude. And he's a certified BA with that bow! Did you know this is his first movie role?
-Ryan

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey, that's the picture the girl was wearing! And I agree, he is, oh, how do you say it, hot? I guess it's been long enough since I was a pre-teen girl I forgot what it's like. In high school ( abit past pre-teen, but...)I saw Top Gun over 10 times. Great 80's eye candy. BTW, what's a BA?

Christy

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thirty: I had heard about Orlando Bloom. But tonight I looked up a picture of him myself.... I don't think the words I would use to discribe him are appropriate here... I mean it's him alright... but it's almost evil Orlando vrs. Angelic Legolas, lol.

kollantai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw the Two Towers last week - all I can say is WOW! What a fantastic film. I see some of you like Aragorn, but I'v got to go with Legolas lol!

lisa_catfancier

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yeah, he's kind of a weird looking, punkish individual in real life. He's got this pre-teenmustache and facial hair that kind of looks like dirt. It's odd. But, he plays a great elf.
-Ryan

luv those paws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I finally got to see the movie this past Sunday. I truly enjoyed it. This is as far as I got in the books. I read the Fellowship, and the first half of the TT. I got lost in the Dead Marshes somewhere and never made my way back out.

I went with a friend who is a huge Tolkien fan and she was disappointed by the amount of changes that they made to the movie. She felt that a lot of it was unecessary and the JRR was probably spinning in his grave. I personally had a different view. I mean, it is necessary to change things from book to screen. Its just the way it goes.

I thought the effects were amazing and the battle was amazing. The story is great. I can't wait for the next part, though I hear it is a bit sad. I am a little scared about that, but I am not going to read the books until the films are through.

big kat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I FINALLY got to see it yesterday on Christmas, and I loved it!
I reread the books last year before the first one, and I am very impressed with the movies so far. I hate to have to wait until next year for the final one. My only complaint was the excessive "humor" that they forced in for kids I guess, but it just didn't need it. I think the hobbits alone provide plenty of natural humor that was in the books, without the Gimli and Golem cracks. But still a wonderful movie, and I'm going to have to see if again before it leaves the theaters!

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand those girls' fascination with Legolas. Besides being a cool character, he is really hot. Orlando as himself is not so goodlooking, but still kind of a cutie.

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I don't know...I prefer dark hair and eyes to blonde hair and blue eyes any day!

It's rather funny, how we can develop a crush on or "like" a fictional character. I was so in love with Fox Mulder, but think David Duchovny is kinda a dud.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We got to see the movie last Sunday, and I agree with everyone - WOW! Those movies never cease to amaze me that you can sit there for 3 hours - long by almost any movie standard - and still want more. That's good film making. Rumor has it that George Lucas has talked with Peter Jackson about directing Episode 3 for Star Wars. Now that may actually redeem Lucas for the first 2 Episodes. :tounge2:

Regarding Aragorn & Legolas, I think either could warm my sheets.
I do think that Orlando Bloom looks much better with long blonde hair, but perhaps that's the metal babe in me coming out. Viggo Mortenson is one of the best looking men in Hollywood right now, IMO. They both give such great performances in LOTR, it's so easy to get lost in either character.

For the Tolkien geeks in the crowd...Hubby said he was a bit confused by what happened to Gandolf, becoming Gandolf the White. Did he die? Where did he go?

I have to thank you guys, especially Ryan, because it made me look really good when I was able to explain to hubby the whole "Murderer" thing.

kollantai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll take Legolas blond or brunette lol!

Gandalf was in a battle with the Balrog (? I think) on the bridge in the mountains of Moria...and came out as Gandalf the White...he is a wizard!

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just watched the Fellowship of the Ring again. I got the DVD for Christmas.
Now I have to see Two Towers again, to make all the connections between the 2 movies. It seemed that Gandalf did a little time traveling or dimensional traveling before he returned as Gandalf the White. It was a little confusing.

Heidi, You are so right about both Legolas and Aragorn. I don't usually go for scruffy, but for Aragorn, I make an exception. I always did like long-haired men.

Christy, I was in love with Mulder, too. I think that one of the reasons I like Aragorn so much is because the character is so cool. I just watched some of the extra stuff on the Fellowship DVD, and Viggo as Viggo is still hot.

thirtysilver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Valan,
Gandalf the Grey's body died in that fall, but Gandalf (his real name is Olórin) didn't.
Gandalf the Grey falls from the Bridge of Khazad-Dûm and into the water below. There, he and the Balrog have a massive fight that rages from the underground lake below Khazad-Dûm, to a long and winding staircase called the Dimrill Stair, and finally out to the Dimrill Dale not far from where Frodo and Company ended up when they exited the mines after seeing Gandalf fall. Then, his energy spent, he went into a trance for many days. When he awoke, he was Gandalf the White.

Gandalf is one of the Istari, servants of the Valar. This is hard to explain without going into emmense detail, but I'll try: In the West (where all the elves are going) there's a land called Valinor. There live the Valar, gods on earth. The servents of the Valar are called Maiar. Saruman the White, Gandalf, Balrogs, and even Sauron are all Maiar, but the Balrogs and Sauron have turned away from the will of the Valar, and that is why they are evil.
Gandalf and Saruman the White, however, are "servants of the Secret Fire, Wielders of the Flame of Anor" (Gandalf says that in the first movie), which means they serve the will of the Valar. They've been sent to find and destroy the One Ring. There are grades within the order to which Gandalf and Saruman the White belong. White is the highest, and grey is the second highest. There is also a wizard named Radagst the Brown. Having sacrificed himself for the good of the quest in Khazad-Dûm, Gandalf gets bumped up a rank and he's now the head dude. Saruman, having turned to evil, forsakes the raiment of the Valar and deems himself "Saruman the many-colored."
An interesting note: Gandalf the grey was vulnerable and could be kille, but Gandalf the white is invincible!
-Ryan