loosing interest in kittens to fast?

li0xnis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i am a little nervous that stella is not giving her kittens enough attention ...what is normal? she is now leaving them a lone...they are only a day and a half old, and slept next to me.....she did everything right for labor, and fed them all yesterday, but has since seemed to be a little removed from things, she will go if they cry.....how often should she be feeding them...i tried to move into a boxalso and shemoved them back so she still cares but what is about right for kitten car. also i put downa heating pad and i think it was a good idea for warmth but maybe that has sparked the independance , what do you all think?

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't any experience in this but I do know that when Mollie, a stray I was feeding a few years ago who was obviously pregnant, disappeared for 2 days she came back skinny so we knew she had had her kittens. She continued to hang around the house, however, for far more hours than I would have thought a mother cat would do, so we assumed that something had happened to the kittens. She continued to have milk, though, and then 9 weeks later she brought 3 kittens over to our doorstep so we could help feed their growing appetites.

So, I am not sure how much time their mother needs to be with them or if as long as they aren't crying, they are fine. She probably got up and fed them during the night then returned to sleep with you, and since she is still moving them, then I suspect she knows they are alright.

How hot is the heating pad, btw? The kittens can be too little to move off of it if it gets too hot. Perhaps another more experienced member can advise you about this.
Good luck with the babies:-).

Kathryn