Loose Stool And Conjunctivitis, 7 Months Old!

Lisettola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone,
Last month I lost a kitten, she was very tiny (6 weeks and the person who gave her to us did not tell us...) and after a week of diahrrea and a bit of conjunctivitis she started to deteriorate very quickly up until the point we had no other choice but to euthanize her.
I waited and disinfected everything in the house, changed litter box, and few days ago I found a new furry baby.... he is 7 months old and he arrived super healthy and playful but today suddenly started to refuse the food he liked in the past few days, then I noticed one of his eyes a little bit more closed and watery and lately he went to the toilet and did some loose stools.
I am scared that, even tho i’ve been extra careful he could have what the tiny kitty got last month.
It could be nothing, also even if it was he could be not life treathening since he is almost adult.... did something similar happened to you as well? Should I be worried?
In any case I will be going to the vet tomorrow morning...
Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Conjuntivitis and loose stools aren't generally connected, but I suppose there could easily be some disease with both that I'm not aware of. You took due diligence in trying to sanitize your home. That's all you could do. And even if this boy has some issue, at seven months, he is far more robust than that tiny mite you so desperately tried to save. Hang in there, and LET ME KNOW WHAT THE VET SAYS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisettola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Conjuntivitis and loose stools aren't generally connected, but I suppose there could easily be some disease with both that I'm not aware of. You took due diligence in trying to sanitize your home. That's all you could do. And even if this boy has some issue, at seven months, he is far more robust than that tiny mite you so desperately tried to save. Hang in there, and LET ME KNOW WHAT THE VET SAYS!
Thanks! Will do for sure... at the same time he already asked for food (even tho I think I will keep him without for a few more hours), the eye seems fine now and he’s still playing as usual... so maybe I’m just being extra paranoid becouse of what happened with the other! Could it be that since yesterday I made him try some other brands of food his belly got a bit upset? He wasn’t eating what I gave him and he doesn’t seem to enjoy dry food that much...
I’ll keep you posted anyway! Thanks...

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, goodness, yes, a sudden change in foods can certainly cause an upset tummy. We generally recommend mixing the new food with the old food, and gradually reduce the amount of old food until it is all new food. Takes a week or so to transition.

And I can see why you would be paranoid. But remember for now and the future, your new boy is older and stronger and more robust. Your little lost girl may well have had internal issues from before she was even born, and just couldn't overcome them, bless her. But she is safe at the Bridge now, and you have this new little scamp to honor her little life, and to carve his own place in your heart.

When you have a moment, you can go here New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your kitten to our community! We'd love pictures! You can also, if you would like to, and if it would help you, go to this thread Crossing the Bridge and post a memorial to the kitten that you lost.

I'm sorry...I never asked either kittens' name...and I certainly should have!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisettola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I wasn’t online in the weekend coz of work...
The vet said he is fine Probably it really was the change of food. Now stool are almost completely back to normal!
He is a little devil tho! always running around and destroying things in the house! His name is Leo, I’m gonna go and make the post in new cats now! ❤ Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, EXCELLENT! I was ready for some good news today! I'll see you in New Cats!