Loose stitch after kitten spay?

Nyankoisamu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9 month old kitten just got spayed a week ago and late last night it looked like a tiny piece of green thread poked through her incision at the top. She's a bit swollen but not bad and slightly tender but can be touched there. It's hard under the incision where her dissolvable stitches are. Is this normal? The incision isn't red and no bruising. She's acting happy and normal eating and drinking and potting fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nyankoisamu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also there is no fluid coming out of it just a little bit of green thread barely pokes out. I plan on calling her vet to be safe and because they put in her paperwork to call if she has any kind of swelling since they have to report it to where they get their sutures from

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s always hard for us to give definitive info about things like this since we are not vets. However, a simple thread poking out is not uncommon. It is always best to ask your vet if you have a concern. Some swelling is expected. If there is a foul odor , leaking or obvious opening, lethargy, not eating, red streaking across tummy or a lot of pain that is an immediate call to the vet. For peace of mind and the sake of erring on the side of being an excellent cat guardian, do contact the vet. Let us know how kitty is doing. BTW, we love kitty photos here. ;)💕

Nyankoisamu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry its not the best tummy pick but she was trying to move because she doesn't always like being on her back

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I see the stray thread. Her belly looks okay from what I know of my own spays. The photos are actually really good. Awwww! She is precious!! Just do what you can to keep her from jumping up a lot or being overly rambunctious right now. I have been through a couple of hundred spays and neuters with rescues and of all those, only two ever had an issue. Most go very well. Still, it is ALWAYS best to ask a vet. Welcome to both of you to the site! Hello kitty! :welcomesign::heartshape:

Nyankoisamu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I messaged her vet and sent them the pics and they said it looks like the adhesive tissue was dyed by the tattoo that they use and that its rolled up as it heals and she said that it should clear up within the next week. They said they are happy we are keeping our eye on it and that it looks awesome and let me know that the sutures they use are blue so I can keep my eye out

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s great news. The vet is right, you are a great kitty guardian to be paying such close attention. That is one very lucky kitty!! Bravo to you for getting her spayed. When she is an older cat, that can prevent some health issues that females can face. I do love that precious face! I have three black kitties among the Clowder here. Yesterday all the cats here saw the vet and the three black ones were all little angels!

Nyankoisamu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little girl is the smartest of the 3 kittens my sister has. My sister gave her to me because the other 2 are boys and because she bonded with me almost immediately after we started staying with her. My little girl Gaia is a Manx as is one of her brothers. She's a sweet baby and they even wrote cutie on her chart which made my sister laugh

Nyankoisamu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's my first cat since my orange male Manx got hit by a car while my mom was watching him 8 years ago. He was 11 years old and he and his mom were mine as a kid

Nyankoisamu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thinking about turning her into an ESA since my Dr says I need one and she's very responsive to my emotional state and is responsive to my migraines