Loose skin on Kitten

Dgram987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Big Red was a bottle baby from 3 days old he is lactose intolerant and has mega bowel. I have raised and care for many cats and kittens [Foster mom] over the years but never had one like Big Red. I adopted Red because of his health problems. I have his health problems worked out, he is now 6 months old. My question can kitten have loose skin on their back [not just neck] from top of head to base of tail. It reminds me of a growing puppy loose skin. I have never seen it in a kitten before. You can pull from 2 inches top of head to 5 inches middle of back. Don't want to go back to vet unless we have to. He is eating, potting and playing well. Never worried more over a cat pooping then with Red.

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Dgram987 Dgram987 :wave3:....
Big Red looks so adorable. I so love the 'dog tag'....ummm....'cat tag' with his name on it.:blush:
My question can kitten have loose skin on their back [not just neck] from top of head to base of tail. It reminds me of a growing puppy loose skin. I have never seen it in a kitten before. You can pull from 2 inches top of head to 5 inches middle of back. Don't want to go back to vet unless we have to. He is eating, potting and playing well. Never worried more over a cat pooping then with Red.
I know that kittens go through many 'growth spurts' ...so I would guess that you may just be seeing this 'loose skin'....as Big Red growing into his eventual handsome older self.
I wouldn't worry about it, since you mentioned that he is eating, playing, and potting well.

I'm not sure about the Mega bowel, though. For that, Big Red might have to be on a certain diet, or only foods that agree with him.
I hope you can find what works.

Can you attach some more photos of Red, especially the top and back....since I'm just curious how this 'loose skin' looks.
Again, he is so pretty, and his paws do look big from the above angle. :loveeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dgram987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Dgram987 Dgram987 :wave3:....
Big Red looks so adorable. I so love the 'dog tag'....ummm....'cat tag' with his name on it.:blush:

I know that kittens go through many 'growth spurts' ...so I would guess that you may just be seeing this 'loose skin'....as Big Red growing into his eventual handsome older self.
I wouldn't worry about it, since you mentioned that he is eating, playing, and potting well.

I'm not sure about the Mega bowel, though. For that, Big Red might have to be on a certain diet, or only foods that agree with him.
I hope you can find what works.

Can you attach some more photos of Red, especially the top and back....since I'm just curious how this 'loose skin' looks.
Again, he is so pretty, and his paws do look big from the above angle. :loveeyes:
It is technically called mega colon I always refer to it as mega bowels probably because I get to clean all the poop when it happens. Reds colon is in enlarged and he get constipated. He has medication that helps add moister to his colon to help him poop. With medication he needs help keeping his backside clean. I noticed the loose skin when brushing him it is about 5 inches long in the middle of his back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dgram987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Big Red was a bottle baby from 3 days old he is lactose intolerant and has mega bowel. I have raised and care for many cats and kittens [Foster mom] over the years but never had one like Big Red. I adopted Red because of his health problems. I have his health problems worked out, he is now 6 months old. My question can kitten have loose skin on their back [not just neck] from top of head to base of tail. It reminds me of a growing puppy loose skin. I have never seen it in a kitten before. You can pull from 2 inches top of head to 5 inches middle of back. Don't want to go back to vet unless we have to. He is eating, potting and playing well. Never worried more over a cat pooping then with Red.
Big Red has a dog tag because it matches his three big sister who are dogs. He also walks on a leash and goes with his sisters walking.
IMG_2211 (1).jpg

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
It is technically called mega colon I always refer to it as mega bowels probably because I get to clean all the poop when it happens. Reds colon is in enlarged and he get constipated. He has medication that helps add moister to his colon to help him poop. With medication he needs help keeping his backside clean. I noticed the loose skin when brushing him it is about 5 inches long in the middle of his back.
Thanks for this extra info.

I'm wondering now, ....if you think that the medication...may be causing more 'water retention in other parts' of Big Red's body.
Hmm...not sure. Your best bet is to email the Vet, and ask them, and email a photo also.

(I do know that prednisone does cause water retention in humans, since I was on it as a kid, but not sure what type of medication a kitten with mega colon needs.) If it's a steroid, then yes, loose skin, puffiness and growth may be possible.

There have been other threads on here, with members who have had cats with mega colon...though the only ones I remember are of older cats and not kittens.
(If you do a "Search" in the top right...then there may be some other useful threads.)

Big Red has a dog tag because it matches his three big sister who are dogs. He also walks on a leash and goes with his sisters walking.
He is so Beautiful. So very fluffy. :cloud9:
Wow, fantastic that he walks on a leash. And hoping that his three big dog sisters stay close....and offer a lot of 'dog protection'. :)
Not that Big Red looks like he needs three 'dog bodyguards'....but hey...if they are available...then why not. :biggrin: :bluepaw::greenpaw::bluepaw:

I'm sure he will be in charge of the dogs...pretty soon...if he isn't already.

What's that saying...."cats rule, dogs drool".
(Atleast in my house, the two five year old cats feel that they are in charge of their 8 year old mixed lab retriever big brother. Especially when asking for treats, wake time, play time, and get the human to do things time, etc.)