Loose Poop After Uti???

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had an UTI, I finished his antibiotics about 5 days ago and he is improving every day.
He is on a special diet for crystals, he is on Purina UR and at the last urine test everything was ok.
The problem I am having is that his poop is very watery. He poops every 2 days but it' not getting harder.
I understand his diet change, the pills, the crappy food he eats now, but shouldn' I see an improvement already?
Help me with some peace of mind.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Antibiotics are like little nuclear bombs. They cause mass destruction to all bacteria, not just the bacteria causing a particular infection. And a mammal's intestines are full of bacteria that digest food. Antibiotics tend to cause a serious dent in the number of gut bacteria, which leads to less digestion of food, which leads to diarrhea. Those bacteria will rally and breed, bringing the intestines back to normal, it just takes a little time. There are some kitty probiotics that can help with increasing the gut bacteria. I don't know any brand names, other people will though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Antibiotics are like little nuclear bombs. They cause mass destruction to all bacteria, not just the bacteria causing a particular infection. And a mammal's intestines are full of bacteria that digest food. Antibiotics tend to cause a serious dent in the number of gut bacteria, which leads to less digestion of food, which leads to diarrhea. Those bacteria will rally and breed, bringing the intestines back to normal, it just takes a little time. There are some kitty probiotics that can help with increasing the gut bacteria. I don't know any brand names, other people will though.
I got some Fortiflora from the vet, hopefully this will help him.