Looking to adopt puppy - concerns about cats adjusting

whattheduck07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wasn't entirely sure where to place this so I figured it'd go under behavior. My husband and I are looking at adopting a puppy here in the next two months but have two very important concerns: our two cats. What makes this situation more difficult is that they are two totally opposite personalities. Kimi adjusts fairly easily, but Syra could take months to truly adjust. An example of this is when we moved to our new house. Within a week and a half, Kimi was prancing around like she owned the place... Syra on the other hand spent about two months cowering in fear at every bump, noise and guest we had.

The reason the dog is a concern is because we've had dogs come by to visit (my parent's dog - a Schnoodle; and my in-laws dog - a Bichon). Neither cat really liked the Bichon because it was curious and wanted to play, i.e. chase them around. The Schnoodle on the other hand wanted nothing to do with the cats, and they quickly were alright with sitting in the same room with him. When he got up was an entirely different story and they ran to hide until it calmed down. It also helps that my parent's dogs has been up several times, so they are used to him. They had never met the Bichon before.

We are looking at getting a german Shepard (which is MUCH bigger than a Bichon or Schnoodle), and we just wanted to know if anyone had any tips on how to make this new addition as easy on the cats as possible. We're not too concerned about Kimi adjusting quickly and standing her ground, but we know Syra may not initially do well because she's a little more timid and shy.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most important thing to realize is that cats and dogs are completely different.  They have different "languages" and things or ways of approaching that are viewed as fun and lighthearted (friendly) to a dog, can be seen as the opposite by a cat.  So, it is important to keep the first interactions very brief and keeping a leash on the puppy so you can intervene.  If the puppy is too worked up and jumping too much, separate the cat quickly and try again when puppy is calmer or worn out after a good play session or feeding.  The cat will hiss, swat, growl, all of this is to be expected.  But it's almost always best to let the cat meet puppy from a high vantage point like a cat tree.  Place cat up there and just let them watch the dog.  And then call dogs attention to cat when cat seems calmer.  Let them sniff a little.  Puppy will probably want to bite or lick cat.  Don't let them unless cat is comfortable.  Treats can help.  Reward cat for being calm and not being upset with puppy.  Cats will view it as a juvenile which is an advantage for getting a puppy, so they will be more understanding.  Puppy will learn over time that kitty doesn't like his in-your-face way of interacting.  So just take it slow, don't push or rush it.  Plenty of treats and praise.