Looking for suggestions/ideas about my cat's rabid food cravings

argus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there.

Unfortunately my furry little problem child is driving me to the brink of insanity. She constantly craves food 24/7. Even though I feed her a good diet consisting of fresh meat and Hills dry food several times per day, not long afterwards she begins following me, meowing vigorously and continuously to the point of screaming for twenty minutes or more and if I ignore her further she begins destroying things, especially the carpet, desperate to force my attention until she gets more food. I had mistaken it for moving related anxiety earlier but it is now obviously related to food. She has gotten so bad at times I have had to lock her in the laundry until her next meal. I don't want to feed her any more since she is gaining weight. If anything, I want to be feeding her less. This has been going on since I got her over a month ago and is now worse than ever. I tried giving her a whole bowl of dry food in the morning to see how she went throughout the day. She ate most if it immediately and ate the remainder within the next hour. I saw a vet several weeks ago who said there is nothing overtly wrong with her but I am going to take her to a different one this week that has an excellent reputation all around the city and pay for them to check her in more depth.

Does anyone know why she has such a constant craving for food? Could it be something like diabetes? Anything I could suggest to the vet would be welcome.

Thank you very much.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What formula of Hills do you feed her? How much? What kind of meat? How much?

You might try switching her to canned food. It has more water so it makes cats feel fuller, plus it has more protein so it may keep her from feeling hungry again so soon.

Does she act any different when she gets dry food vs meat? Or is she pretty much the same all the time?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

argus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. She is a fairly small adult about 2.5 years old. She was 2.7kg (7lbs) when I got her from the RSPCA which was only marginally underweight, now she is 3.5kg (7.7lbs) and getting slightly round. I don't think she has any more growing to do; so far the weight she has put on has been going on her stomach. Her behavior doesn't change between wet and dry. The meat is plain raw kangaroo meat or beef, it comes in 85g (3oz) portions. The brand is V.I.P. Fussy Cat. She gets one in the morning and one in the evening. As for dry food, she gets Hills Adult Perfect Weight which is supposed to be lower in calories but still high in protein so that she can eat larger portions. She gets two meals of 1/4 cup each. In total she gets four reasonably sized meals per day. She is certainly more satisfied with larger meals but I don't know how to feed her the amount she craves without a big weight problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

argus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Correction - she was originally 6lb, now is 7.7