looking for stable cat steps

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
honeykat is going to be 18 later this year, and while he's mostly in good shape (or so says the vet), he has a condition that apparently is very common where he can't feel his paws too well, which makes him wobbly. i want to get steps so he doesn't have to jump onto the bed (which he still does) and they have to be fairly wide steps, maybe with something on the side to keep him from wobbling over - otherwise nice and wide. carpet or something soft to give a little traction and friendly feel a plus. as much as i'd prefer spending less, we don't want something that will break under him, wobble or make him feel insecure.

the bed is 19 inches off the floor - 18 maybe at the very edges.

suggestions?

btw, i realize this isn't directly health related exactly, but it from a health issue.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@basschick

If there"s sufficient space which is not in the way of humans, would a ramp be better than steps? A gradual ramp requires less effort to climb than steps. And maybe honeykat don't like steps?
If it's steps you prefer, how about a low step ladder? Those they use in libraries or retail shops? These are pretty steady. Think it comes in different heights (or steps).

molly22

Country girl living the life with my furry friends
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I bought this from Amazon a few years ago for my older cats. I don't remember it being $50 then but I did see others on Amazon you could check out. We have it next to our bed with one side of the stairs hugging the wall and it's never tipped over. Our 17 pounder never tipped it and it never wobbled. Good luck.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@Molly22

This is great. I didn't know they have it for pets [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
that's one of the three on my list, so thank you very much for the feedback on it!

I have cat steps. I bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond. It handles the 15 pound cats just fine as well as my poor 9 pound Etta. https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...YzY-oAw&lsft=gclid:CLzDiNvX1s4CFVFcfgodrNAChQ
one of the first ones i saw on amazon, but people report it's not that steady, and HK is 14 pounds.  do you find it doesn't rock or jiggle at all under your 15 pounders?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
when i had hip damage and a weak leg, i found a ramp much harder to walk up than steps.  HK may feel differently, so i guess we'll have to test both and see what he likes
Oh, I didn't know that a ramp is harder to walk up with hip problems. I thought lifting the legs and pushing up is harder on steps. Well, better get the right one then.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I didn't know that a ramp is harder to walk up with hip problems. I thought lifting the legs and pushing up is harder on steps. Well, better get the right one then.
i'm guessing it varies depending on specifics.  we can try both - the important thing is HK is happy and can get up and down easily :)

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could also get a cheap, but solid step stool and glue carpet on it, if the options above are too pricey.

pgalore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have made all my kitty stairs. It is very easy. Home Depot has scrap wood and will cut it for free for you. All I had to do was nail the pieces together, paint it, and hot glue some scrap carpet to it. I made one for my foster kitten room. The steps are very short so they can easily get up and down them. Now they can look out the window in their room. I made them for my bay window and for my bed. Jazz them up with some decals from the Dollar store. I put flowers and dragon flies on them and they look professionally made. Everyone that comes to my home asks where I bought the stairs. They are also very sturdy and will be around long after me! Good luck with this fun project!

molly22

Country girl living the life with my furry friends
Adult Cat
Purraise
What an excellent DIY project! I wish I would have read this 3 years ago!

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg
Hi. I've only been a member since Friday and have been posting photos and comments like its no tomorrow! I posted a photo of the new cat steps we got to help 17 year old Carter with getting into our bed and onto the sofa due to being diagnosed with arthritis and hyperthyroidism 10 days ago. He adapted to them so quick that we got a second set for upstairs. Before his treatment he was becoming more and more limited to where he could go in and out of the house. He's making an amazing recovery and at times is like a kitten! Hugo who is 3 is totally suspicious of them. If these look like what you're after I can message you the details of where they came from. There were amazing options available made if wood that would have really fitted with the decor and furniture but they started at £170 and went up to £250+. These are cheap but work brilliantly and don't loo too bad! Hope this helps and that Honeykat is well

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks. those look good - what are the name of the steps or the url so i can look into them for HK?

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. They are from Amazon UK and were £19.99. They may be available on amazon.com
Hope this helps
Dog or Pet Foldable Access Steps in Plastic (823)

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks. looks like we can't get them on amazon u.s., darn it!

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just had a look at the packaging from mine and there's no brand name or any information about the manufacturer to see if it's available outside the EU