Looking for some kitten related reassurance

MAB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to everyone who helped last time!

This is one where I'm about 99% sure that the answer is 'this is not a problem', but the 1% occasionally worries me!

I have a couple of five month kittens. I'm feeding them wet food, generally four times a day. I'm aware that kittens shouldn't have food restrictions but I'm slightly struggling with it because so much advice around pet feeding is all about avoiding the HORROR! of being OVERWEIGHT! and so I was always really careful about that with previous pets.

This means that I then get a little worried about one of the kittens because his belly looks so much bigger than his hilariously tiny head, and I would just like to a) hear some reassurance that during the period of growing cats go through some weird shapes and b) I absolutely should keep feeding them as much as they will eat.

(He doesn't look like a cartoon character or anything. Again, I'm 99% sure that, like humans, the process of growing happens to different parts at different speeds. Just could do with hearing it from somewhere other than my own brain.)

I've attached a photo just because kitten photos are nice, not because it will actually help with the question.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MAB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have all of your kittens been checked for worms? They can cause the appearance of an overly round belly.
Yes, just dewormed a few weeks ago. Obviously the pills only kill what's there rather than protect for future so it's a possibility that they've picked something up again, but no other signs at the moment.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You kittens are just GORGEOUS :lovecat3:

Kittens definitely do go through some weird and awkward shapes when growing. Your two aren't related, I take it, and look to have different body types anyway. It's only natural that they'll develop differently. They both look absolutely wonderful to me, and I certainly wouldn't be worrying about excess weight at this age. Keep doing what you're doing. It's clearly working for them :thumbsup:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are absolutely adorable and look fine to me like above keep doing what your doing.

TheFartingCat

Latte
Kitten
Purraise
I was so paranoid about feeding my kitten too much when I first got him too! However, I learned over time that it's important to let kittens eat as much as they want until they're about a year old so that they're able to grow into healthy adult cats.

MAB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You kittens are just GORGEOUS :lovecat3:

Kittens definitely do go through some weird and awkward shapes when growing. Your two aren't related, I take it, and look to have different body types anyway. It's only natural that they'll develop differently. They both look absolutely wonderful to me, and I certainly wouldn't be worrying about excess weight at this age. Keep doing what you're doing. It's clearly working for them :thumbsup:
Thank you, that is the reassurance I need! And thank you for admiring them, I was definitely fishing. 😁 They are very pretty. Not related, no, and yes, completely different shapes which adds to the occasional worry. But no longer!

MAB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was so paranoid about feeding my kitten too much when I first got him too! However, I learned over time that it's important to let kittens eat as much as they want until they're about a year old so that they're able to grow into healthy adult cats.
I'm glad it's not just me! Vet's office is full of 'how to tell if your cat is overweight' charts and they keep faintly worrying me. Thank you for the reassurance!

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about over feeding kittens! Give them the kitten form of dry and wet food. It has the extra fat and protein kittens need to grow. Most kittens are not full grown until they reach 12. month's. Free feed the dry. Kittens need the extra food because they are growing and are hyperactive compared to adults.

a rule of thumb for feeding kittens, is that if there are no left overs, you aren't feeding your kitties enough!@

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for asking this question! I was just navigating over here to ask the same thing because I looked at my little female cat this morning and debating posting a pic of her asking if others thought she might be pregnant. :p:p

I too was about 99% sure that you couldn't overfeed a kitten but lordy both of mine look huge to me sometimes.

MAB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't worry about over feeding kittens! Give them the kitten form of dry and wet food. It has the extra fat and protein kittens need to grow. Most kittens are not full grown until they reach 12. month's. Free feed the dry. Kittens need the extra food because they are growing and are hyperactive compared to adults.

a rule of thumb for feeding kittens, is that if there are no left overs, you aren't feeding your kitties enough!@
That leftovers rule is extremely reassuring, thank you!

MAB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for asking this question! I was just navigating over here to ask the same thing because I looked at my little female cat this morning and debating posting a pic of her asking if others thought she might be pregnant. :p:p

I too was about 99% sure that you couldn't overfeed a kitten but lordy both of mine look huge to me sometimes.
I'm so glad it's not just me! They just look a bit out of proportion. But then so do human babies. 😁