Looking for ideas to contain a messy eater

Cyantaiga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't claim that my cat is the messiest eater in the world, but he's definitely the messiest eater I've ever seen! Since the day we got him, 13 years ago, he's always left a ring of kibble crumbs around his bowl. It only got worse a few years ago when he had to get one of his big bottom teeth pulled.

We've tried various clean-up/containment "solutions" over the years. First it was a towel, which he would just bunch up and end up dragging over his bowl (at which point he'd get upset because he couldn't figure out how to get to his food again). Then I got a silicone mat, which...sort of worked - the problem was that the cat's mess expanded beyond the parameters of the mat, and any attempt to relocate the bowl on the mat to account for this resulted in the cat simply pulling the bowl closer to the edge and/or just not crunching on his kibbles while standing on the mat. So we decided on a more obvious containment option: a plastic bin. It's like a 2'x3' underbed-style bin, so the edges aren't that high, but it's enough of an obstacle that the cat is more likely to eat within the box rather than take any kibbles out to eat. It's a solution that's done pretty much what we wanted it to.

However! The spot that his "dining room" is in isn't a huge amount of space, and I'm looking into something a little sturdier that I'd be able to add maybe a scratching post and a bed on top of it. Obviously the simplest solution is to just buy an end table that'll fit over the bin, but the bin itself is something I'd like to upgrade, since the flexible bottom "pops" as the cat gets in and out.

My idea is basically what you'd get by sticking an end table in a cardboard tray that fits the legs into the corners of the tray, and it's something I may be able to build for myself if I had the right tools...but I don't, so my next best option seems to be finding a sturdy tray and a table with compatible dimensions. I'm just...not really sure where to look for such a tray, whether it's wood, particle board, plastic, or whatever - my only requirements are that the edges aren't too high and the bottom is completely flat.

Possible alternatives I've considered and discarded:
- a kitty litter "hideaway" - the idea is close to what I want, but the cat is a social eater, and I'm afraid he'll be less inclined to eat if he's unable to see where we are (plus, the enclosed nature of these hideaways wouldn't give me the visual cue to refill the food reservoir)
- a kennel/crate - most lack a flat bottom and/or a removable door, and I'm not entirely sure the cat would take well to eating in a cage; I have seen more "furniture-style" crates that seem promising, but since their function is to be an enclosure, the doors are usually even more locked into the construction than a wire crate's is, and I'm not keen on spending good money on something I'd have to remodel myself anyway

So I'm wondering if anybody has either a) any ideas of where to look to find the right components for something like this, or b) any alternative ideas to accomplish a custom vertical "cat condo".

ViaLogan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't claim that my cat is the messiest eater in the world, but he's definitely the messiest eater I've ever seen! Since the day we got him, 13 years ago, he's always left a ring of kibble crumbs around his bowl. It only got worse a few years ago when he had to get one of his big bottom teeth pulled.

We've tried various clean-up/containment "solutions" over the years. First it was a towel, which he would just bunch up and end up dragging over his bowl (at which point he'd get upset because he couldn't figure out how to get to his food again). Then I got a silicone mat, which...sort of worked - the problem was that the cat's mess expanded beyond the parameters of the mat, and any attempt to relocate the bowl on the mat to account for this resulted in the cat simply pulling the bowl closer to the edge and/or just not crunching on his kibbles while standing on the mat. So we decided on a more obvious containment option: a plastic bin. It's like a 2'x3' underbed-style bin, so the edges aren't that high, but it's enough of an obstacle that the cat is more likely to eat within the box rather than take any kibbles out to eat. It's a solution that's done pretty much what we wanted it to.

However! The spot that his "dining room" is in isn't a huge amount of space, and I'm looking into something a little sturdier that I'd be able to add maybe a scratching post and a bed on top of it. Obviously the simplest solution is to just buy an end table that'll fit over the bin, but the bin itself is something I'd like to upgrade, since the flexible bottom "pops" as the cat gets in and out.

My idea is basically what you'd get by sticking an end table in a cardboard tray that fits the legs into the corners of the tray, and it's something I may be able to build for myself if I had the right tools...but I don't, so my next best option seems to be finding a sturdy tray and a table with compatible dimensions. I'm just...not really sure where to look for such a tray, whether it's wood, particle board, plastic, or whatever - my only requirements are that the edges aren't too high and the bottom is completely flat.

Possible alternatives I've considered and discarded:
- a kitty litter "hideaway" - the idea is close to what I want, but the cat is a social eater, and I'm afraid he'll be less inclined to eat if he's unable to see where we are (plus, the enclosed nature of these hideaways wouldn't give me the visual cue to refill the food reservoir)
- a kennel/crate - most lack a flat bottom and/or a removable door, and I'm not entirely sure the cat would take well to eating in a cage; I have seen more "furniture-style" crates that seem promising, but since their function is to be an enclosure, the doors are usually even more locked into the construction than a wire crate's is, and I'm not keen on spending good money on something I'd have to remodel myself anyway

So I'm wondering if anybody has either a) any ideas of where to look to find the right components for something like this, or b) any alternative ideas to accomplish a custom vertical "cat condo".
I feel for you! My 13 yr old cat is the same. I bought a braided raffia matt which holds her water bowl, dry food bowl, and wet food bowl. The bowls are kitty-sized but the water bowl is a metal dog's size because she drinks a lot of water. The mat does a good job of containing most of it. But over 2 to 3 days, I use my dustdevil to quikly clean s, target and Ma cys have it or just check amazon, probably cost less. Good luck! Via Logan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cyantaiga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nnnnooo... See, as I stated in my first post, I have already gone from towel to silicone tray mat to, currently, a plastic bin. I suppose my thread title is a tad misleading, but I would've hoped the body of the message had made it clear that I'm looking to upgrade his current dining spot into something a little more vertically functional (and more interesting for him). I already have an idea of what I'm looking for in this endeavor - my query is if anybody has suggestions on how to accomplish it (besides the avenues I mentioned before).

I suppose a more direct thread title would've been "need advice on how to safely cobble together a covered kitty dining area." My bad.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What I thought of was a large serving tray, and something other than wood would be easier to clean. Serving trays are usually very shallow as well as being flat on the bottom. The key would be to find one big enough that a table would fit into it, or at least around it. Something perhaps like a basic parsons table, which would give you the top to place a cat bed on or something similar, with the serving tray beneath. I just don't think that is going to accomplish much in terms of getting him to not make a mess - and could make it harder for you to clean up as you would have to move everything to do so.

If I get the gist, maybe these would be a starting point for you to continue researching based on the desired size(s).
Amazon.com: ATOZONE 12x20 Inch Modern White Acrylic Ottoman Tray with Cutout Handles Serving Tray Organizer Tray Decorative Tray. for Living Room, Bedroom,Bathroom and Kitchen Countertop : Home & Kitchen
Amazon.com: Ameriwood Home Parsons Modern End Table, Black

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about those Ikea stacking boxes? You could stack a couple and put a bed on top with maybe a tray of some sort fitted into the bottom. You could pull the tray out to clean it.

R (3).jpeg

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought higher angled food bowls last year which have helped

PersiansPlenty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Persians, being brachiocephalic, flat faced, are notorious for MESSY eating.
For every three food pieces they pick up in their mouth, they swallow ONE and drop two on floor.
Very rarely will they pick up dropped food from the floor.
. they just return to the bowl to repeat the "two on the floor", over and over!

I feed my Persians the "Solid Gold" brand, Indigo Moon flavor dry food.
Right now a 12# bag is $45. UGH!
Plus I feed them a raw cat meat diet as well.

It is a constant battle to clean up their messes and "throw away" all that discarded food! $$$ 😿
I find to much "other debris" in the dust pan when I sweep it all up,
MessyEaters.jpg
to return any to the food bowl.
I am including a photo of an expensive bowl I use, with circles around all the "dropped two" bites on the FLOOR
"The Neater Feeder" at Amazon
I even also bought a cat food tray to set it upon with raised edges.

I am always willing to try ANY new suggestions.

PersiansPlenty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am including a photo of an expensive bowl I use, with circles around all the "dropped two" bites on the FLOOR
"The Neater Feeder" at Amazon
I even also bought a cat food tray to set it upon with raised edges.
Please note: I put the dry food in BOTH sides of the "neater feeder" never any water in that one!
it would be FULL of dropped food and be "mud" instead of water in about 5 minutes!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
PersiansPlenty PersiansPlenty - I wonder if part of the problem is from the sidewalls on that feeder - perhaps, the space is too confining. It almost looks as if your cat might be picking up food and trying to eat it outside of the feeder. That would explain why so many pieces are fairly far away from the feeder itself.

Just my personal opinion, but you might have less mess, or easier clean up of, and possibly re-use; the dropped food by giving your cat a lower bowl/dish, and placing it on top of a large serving tray. You could clean off the serving tray, which could easily be washed between feedings. You could even buy multiple trays to help with keeping a clean one down on the floor.

Word of forewarning though about 're-using' the dropped food - once dry food comes in contact with a cat's saliva, it is more prone to contaminants as the saliva starts to break down the food.

Just one example of a serving tray that might work - Amazon.com: 4 Pack, 16" x 11" Large White Serving Trays Set - Reusable Plastic Serving Platters for Cookie, Appetizer, Charcuterie, Snack, Dessert, Party Food Display - Stackable Kitchen CounterTop Tray, BPA Free : Home & Kitchen

PersiansPlenty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PersiansPlenty PersiansPlenty - I wonder if part of the problem is from the sidewalls on that feeder - perhaps, the space is too confining. It almost looks as if your cat might be picking up food and trying to eat it outside of the feeder. That would explain why so many pieces are fairly far away from the feeder itself.

Just my personal opinion, but you might have less mess, or easier clean up of, and possibly re-use; the dropped food by giving your cat a lower bowl/dish, and placing it on top of a large serving tray. You could clean off the serving tray, which could easily be washed between feedings. You could even buy multiple trays to help with keeping a clean one down on the floor.

Word of forewarning though about 're-using' the dropped food - once dry food comes in contact with a cat's saliva, it is more prone to contaminants as the saliva starts to break down the food.

Just one example of a serving tray that might work - Amazon.com: 4 Pack, 16" x 11" Large White Serving Trays Set - Reusable Plastic Serving Platters for Cookie, Appetizer, Charcuterie, Snack, Dessert, Party Food Display - Stackable Kitchen CounterTop Tray, BPA Free : Home & Kitchen
Thank you so much for taking the time to study my photo and come up with so many wonderful insights!
You are surely a great cat lady!

Just one example of a serving tray that might work -
In my photo, I do have a plastic tray under the "neater feeder".. and I have four of those so I can change them out, exactly as you suggest.
Also, as you say, re-using dropped food is not good. anything that lands outside of the tray gets swept into the trash.
and "usually" I also dump the stuff from the tray into the trash too..
I never even thought about the "too confining" aspect of the neater feeder.

very very observant on your part!!
I will try to watch the eating process and see if that might be an issue.
Again, I thank you!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oops! I was so busy being focused on where the food was going that I totally missed the tray! But, thanks for saying I was observant at least about one thing!!

PersiansPlenty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought higher angled food bowls last year which have helped
- I wonder if part of the problem is from the sidewalls on that feeder - perhaps, the space is too confining
In consideration of these two ideas.. I decided to order some new bowls.
Going a total new direction... a LARGE diameter heavy crock type.
They should arrive in two days (from Amazon of course).
I have read about "whisker" anxiety.. and how cats do not like to have their whiskers touching the edge of bowls to get down to the food
. SO... the biggest I could get is 9" for dogs.
Amazon.com
I had tried the large stainless steel bowls, but they would knock it over and OH WHAT a DISASTER that was!
Dry food all over the room, to be swept up and thrown away... UGH.
Thus these heavy crock type MIGHT be the answer.
OF COURSE, I will still be placing them on the plastic tray.as seen in my previous post.

Dove5591

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We called our boy Messy Marvin. I bought an angled bowl and set it inside a large pasta type dish. It did help but not 100%. He was strictly a kibble and crunch guy so we had food everywhere. I even had a special flat spatula I used to get it from underneath the fridge.