Looking for Feedback on Dental Extractions Due to Gingivitis

arcanum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. I'm looking for advice on what my trusted vet has recommended regarding dental extractions.

Hunter is a 5 year old Maine Coon. He is my first cat, and I've had him since he was a kitten. He has always been in perfect health. I usually have to take him into the vet every few months to have his butt trimmed for hygenic reasons. His vet is very good with him, and she always examines his teeth. 2 months after last vist he somehow developed gingivitis and they want to extract 3 "or more" of his teeth. Everything I've read says that extraction is the last option and usually reserved for severe stomatitis. No x-rays were taken. He also supposedly has a fractured fang however I cannot for the life of me see any indication of this. That is one of the teeth that they want to remove. His gums are only slightly red and just a very thin line around only a few of his teeth. My research shows this to be early gingivitis. Also, the one suggesting to remove teeth was only a vet tech, not a vet. Although my vet was in the room when she suggested it. Hunter does not have bad breath or trouble eating his canned and raw diet. Nor are his gums bleeding. His teeth have no yellow / gray color and are rather white.

Money is not an issue here, and my vet knows that money is not a problem for me. However I just can't see them recommending tooth extraction as a means to make money, or just because. They are the best vet in the area. However, I'm now wondering if I should seek a second opinion. Has anyone else had extraction suggested for just gingivitis as a first course of treatment? He is scheduled for cleaning and surgery next week.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

mrpurrrfectcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would get a second opinion.

My cat is ten now but last year during a check up the vet said that he had build up on a few teeth. They said that he would need to be under anaesthetic before they could determine if he needed any removed. We got a second opinion from another vet just to make sure. We decided to have it done whilst he is still youngish and healthy. They only needed to remove two teeth and that's all he's ever had removed.

At five your cat is quite young for teeth extraction which is why I would go to another vet for a second opinion. Just get the second vet to do a health check which always includes teeth and see what they say.

I use something called Logic gel for my cat, I put a blob on his paw and he licks it off and it cleans his teeth. I think it has helped his dental hygiene quite a lot.

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would get a second opinion, as well.  My vet has never recommended extraction and my 19 year olds (RIP) teeth and gums were pretty bad.  He did a deep cleaning and she was like new.   I never knew I was supposed to brush her teeth, especially since she never ate hard treats or hard food ever.  Now I know!  lol   Yelp reviews are wonderful... when you find one, check out their yelp!

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat also had to have a few extractions (I think two extractions?) when he was 5 so it's not unheard of. He had been on a kibble diet all of his life at that point and his teeth/gums were very unhealthy looking. He is on a raw diet

now and gets ground raw as well as a balanced prey-model-raw that includes bone-in meats for him to chew. He will be 10 years old tomorrow and his teeth/gums look amazing. He has not had to have a dental since that one time when he was 5.

Do get a second opinion if you feel something is not right. I didn't need to with my cat because it was obvious to me that my cat needed the dental work done.