Looking for cats that eat only wet food who also drink from a water fountain

konuku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two 6-month Ragdoll kittens. The breeder told me to get a fountain as that is what they are used to. I even got a ceramic one unlike the plastic one that she uses. She said all her cats love the fountain...yet, one of my kitties NEVER drinks water or least I have never seen him. His sister who will drinks some water seems to prefer my water glass! (or occasionally the plain water bowl).

Though I have a similar style to the breeder's one (there are two spouts - hers has one), I am wondering if I have the wrong sort of fountain. Maybe they would prefer one that did not make any noise. Yet, I don't want to invest in one if it will just be ignored like the first one. Maybe because of the wet food they are not water drinkers.

So, my big question is...are there any cats out there who eat only wet food that actually drink from a fountain too?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes.  Three of my cats eat only wet food and they also have a water fountain, which they use regularly.  I also have a couple of regular water stations like this:

in different places in the house which they also use.  I got a fountain that was quiet, but more for my sake than theirs.  

But then I have another cat, an older one, who just doesn't like the fountain.  She only drinks out of the regular dispenser.  

Here's an article about water intake that may help:

[article="30756"]Tips To Increase Your Cat S Water Intake​[/article]  

Last edited:

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For what it's worth, my two eat only wet food and I rarely catch them drinking although they always have water available.  In a year and a half, I've noted one of them drinking maybe once or twice.  That's it!  I put the fountain away probably over a year ago, and it actually ended up in a storage unit later.  But we're going to be bringing that stuff back so may try again.  It's possible that now that they've truly settled into the house the fountain will now interest them, whereas early on in their stay they may have been too busy getting used to new surroundings to be interested.

Different cats may prefer different types of fountains, it is true, but as long as it is running and a notable free fall of water (water free falls through the air for at least a couple inches) I don't think there would be a huge difference.

I wouldn't sweat it too much.  My understanding is that a cat who is eating 100% wet diet may very well not drink that much, unless it gets really hot or something.  So far that is what my two have done; they drink hardly at all and I am not concerned.  In your case since it sounds like they are pretty new to your home I would keep the fountain out for a while just to see if they eventually use it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I fed Ruby a mix of dry and wet food, I would see her drink water regularly.  And particularly after I gave her treats like Temptations.

But once I switched her to wet food only, plus treats, I never see her drink water.  Even after the treats.   Her water is just in a dish, not a fountain, btw. 

Depending on the texture of the food, I sometimes I add a 1/2 teaspoon of water to her wet food and mix it all up to make it more like a gravy for her, and she will lick the dish clean.  I also was adding water to her food during our recent hot, humid days.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have mine on canned food and I mix extra water with their canned food. I hardly ever see them drink from their fountain or their water bowls, they have both. I do see a good output of urine in the litter pans, so I am not worried. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

konuku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for making me feel better. I took the fountain away because it was so much work always changing the water and keeping it clean and they almost never/never drank from it. Now I will just leave the bowl and not worry about it. :)