Looking for British Shorthair Breeder

grammy mouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new to this group and I'm not sure if I am posting in the correct forum or not. I am very interested in finding a British Shorthair kitten. My husband and I have fallen in love with the breed since we adopted a shelter kitten 5 years ago that is definitely predominantly British Shorthair. For a long time we wondered what he was, for we knew that he was a unique cat both physically and in temperament. His unique luxurious coat, unique tail, sturdy square build, and adorable chubby cheeked face told us that he was not your average shelter cat. After searching numerous cat information websites, we have determined that CJ fits the English Shorthair description perfectly. You can't imagine how much we adore this guy.......he is the love of our life. My husband wants to get another cat and we definitely want another "Brit". CJ Kitty is a gorgeous black and we would love to get another black male. From visiting a few British Shorthair websites, I can see that the Blue is the most common color and very few Blacks are shown or mentioned. Could you tell me if there is an association of British Shorthair breeders or do you know of any breeders that do have the black kittens? My other requirement is that it be a drivable distance as I really do not want a kitten to be shipped by air. Long flight delays and the hassles of dealing with airlines in this day and age make me shy away from this way of obtaining a kitten. I don't mind a two or three day drive to get a kitten. We live in northern Maine (about 45 minutes from the New Brunswick border) so the Northeast USA or Eastern Canada are the areas in which we would like to find a breeder. And we are not in a rush, so waiting for a breeding that has the possibility of producing a solid black male kitten is acceptable. I am an artist and work out of my home, and my husband is retired so both of us are home all day to love and enjoy our pets. The kitten would be joining a household of two adults (senior citizens), a very cat-friendly golden retriever, and of course, Mr. CJ Kitty, and would be well taken care of and loved and adored for all his days. I will appreciate any information on potential breeders that you might be able to give me.
Sincerely,
Sheryl "Grammy Mouse" Thompson
www.agiftofmaine.com

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome

This section is really just for introducing yourself. Try the breeders corner, like mews2much said. I have a purebred myself, and i got alot of help from here.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are some very knowledgeable breeders on this site, and I am sure someone will have some advice for you.

I don't know anything about the British Shorthairs, but I have found attending cat shows an excellent way to meet breeders, observe their cats, and learn more about the breed. Sometimes the breeders are looking for good homes for retired adults or kittens that aren't show quality.

Good luck in your search!