Looking for advice/recipes for home-cooked treats

telnaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Patch is possibly around 13 years old at this point. She has exactly one tooth, has had the rest removed. She has a very sensitive stomach and vomits a lot if she eats dry food. (I've taken her to a couple different vets over the course of her life for this, and got no real answers.) She does a lot better on wet food.

I want to give her treats! Especially ones I can put in a little interactive treat-dispenser to try and get some activity out of her. I had some store-bought ones but those seem to not be too good on her stomach. I want recipes for baked treats I can make her, that will be relatively dry, but won't upset her stomach too much. When looking for homemade cat treat recipes I usually see ones that are mostly flour... which doesn't seem helpful at all. What sort of things can I add to sorta keep the mix together that aren't really empty grains? Is there anything I can add to aid disgestion? (all I can think of is pumpkin, but in my experience that's used for constipation, and she's not constipated?) Would something that's mostly proteins, like egg and meat, be okay for occasional treats?

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about trying some freeze-dried meats. Like freeze-dried liver, or turkey hearts, or little shrimp or fish bits?
They could be torn/cut into smaller bits to use in the treat dispenser, perhaps.

I get turkey chips, which are freeze-dried chunks of turkey hearts, from Dr. Tim’s. And Primal freeze-dried turkey liver treats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why not just buy freeze dried meat treats? Or try dehydrating cooked meat with a food dehydrator?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

telnaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why not just buy freeze dried meat treats? Or try dehydrating cooked meat with a food dehydrator?
How about trying some freeze-dried meats. Like freeze-dried liver, or turkey hearts, or little shrimp or fish bits?
They could be torn/cut into smaller bits to use in the treat dispenser, perhaps.

I get turkey chips, which are freeze-dried chunks of turkey hearts, from Dr. Tim’s. And Primal freeze-dried turkey liver treats.
oh man. I would've never thought of that on my own. I forgot and/or didn't realize you could just buy freeze dried meat.
Definitely gonna try that! Thanks guys.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably a piece of meat is the best "treat" you can give a cat. Human treats ar usually full of sugar and carbs - cats can't taste sugar and can't process carbs properly so the word "treat" or a baked goodie doesn't really make sense for them. I know what you mean though, and I agree with the others that freeze dried meat is a good choice!

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the teeth thing is an issue here, you could get a blender and make the meat of your choice into a drinkable mush for a treat.