Looking For Advice On Adopting A Second (or Maybe Third!) Fur Baby

MegLucy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys :wave3:

My husband and I are looking to adopt a companion for our 7-year-old rescue Smudge. She’s pretty chilled out and unfazed by new (human) guests in the house, and she has settled in really well in the 5 months since we adopted her. She’s very comfy in her new forever home, but recently has seemed a bit bored and as we would love another cat, we’ve started to look around for a friend for her.

My initial criteria were male around a similar age; Smudge is far from inactive but she’s also not the most playful or affectionate (although I don’t know if this is boredom or her personality!) There is one beautiful candidate at a nearby shelter who is also 7 - he’s a ragdoll cross so really striking with his bright blue eyes, not super active but can go with another cat.

As we were looking around the shelter we also came across a pair of heartbreakers - 2 ragdoll girls, both 12 years old who came in together - who really stole our hearts. I do think we could handle bringing home a closely bonded pair but would this make it harder for Smudge?

The shelter feel both of these options can live with another pet but I really want to make the best choice for Smudge. I’ve done lots of reading and it does seem to be case-by-case so I know we’ll never know until we choose, but I’d like to make the transition as easy as possible for Smudge and also would love to hear which option you guys feel you’d go for! It’s so hard to decide as each have their pros and cons :updown:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think personality plays a key factor here *giving my punk the evil eye* Now my sweet babybear needed a playmate. Enter my punk/bud. Guess what? A decade later I would describe their behavior has frenemies. They tolerate each other but really Salem STILL wants to give back his bullying baby brother.

Is there anyway you can foster them for 3 months to see if it works out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MegLucy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks danteshuman danteshuman and Furballsmom Furballsmom for your replies!

I’m going to call the shelter today and discuss our options. I’d like to hear their take on how long the older girls will be stuck there because this is a factor for us as we’d like to rescue those worth the least chance of finding a home, but realistically I’m thinking one new cat would be less overwhelming for Smudge than two

These decisions are so tricky, especially when your heart says just adopt them all

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It would be wonderful to adopt the 12 year olds, but my experience has been that three females are much harder to introduce to each other. The bonded pair could make life miserable for smudge. Without seeing and knowing their personalities it is usually easier to introduce a male to the resident female cat. If Smudge has been the only cat in the home for 7 years any introduction will need to proceed slowly. There are great resources on that elsewhere on this site. Fostering to adopt can be a great option. Good luck.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

I've never had more than one cat at a time, so can't advise from personal experience. However, like Pjg8r Pjg8r I worry that bringing home the bonded pair, could cause Smudge to feel left out. Or worse, end up being bullied by the older pair. So, for those reasons, I'd be very hesitant to adopt the 12 year old pair.

TCS has a few articles that might have some helpful tips for you.
Good luck. I hope you find a best bud for Smudge. :catlove:

Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction (hopefully you won't need this one)
The Multi-cat Household

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MegLucy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: ... TCS has a few articles that might have some helpful tips for you.
Good luck. I hope you find a best bud for Smudge. :catlove:
Thanks for your advice and kind words :touched: I think you are right that the bonded pair would be a bigger risk. They are so gorgeous that hopefully they will be snapped up soon by some other soft-hearted cat lady haha! Thanks for the articles too, I will have a good read!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would probably choose the boy, because I'm partial to male cats. But then again, if the 2 sisters are friendly to each other and other cats, I guess it could work. I never had 2 girls for very long, just a mother cat and her 2 daughters, but we didn't keep the kittens very long.