Looking for advice about strays

kansascatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 5 months ago a momma cat and her months-old kitten moved into our sheltered backyard. Have been caring for them with food, water, and set up some shelter in our detached garage they can access any time they choose. They've bonded with me and vice versa-they love to crawl into my lap for cuddles .I've been agonizing over what's best for them. On the 1 hand, believe that generally indoor-only cats lead healthier if not happier lives. We adopted a stray over 7 years ago that would not accept new-comers. So, between that & inability to afford extra vet bills, fully adopting them won't work. Our local humane society shelter is reputedly no kill but have a number of concerns. Our adopted cat always tried to get into our house prior to adoption but this momma cat seems afraid to do so. So, am concerned the 2 cats would languish in cages at the shelter and not get adopted whether due to lack of interest or momma's unwillingness to bond with others or refusal to live inside. Then it doesn't seem like the 2 cats want to be separated. So, am wondering if it's better to just continue as is or to seek their placement at the shelter. Opinions? Thanks much.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kansascatlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info. I think the momma cat would be quite a challenge for potential adopters given her reluctance to enter a dwelling and general skittishness. While they run to me whenever they see me, momma tends to run away from others and the kitten follows her lead. We've named them so you know you're in trouble when you do that. Also would be hard to advertise them given few wide-spread outlets for that around where I live. We do have a local paper but like so many papers there are increasingly fewer people reading it. Cats, though, have always been drawn to me like moths to a flame.