Looking for a Heated Pad for Outdoor Kitty

pawsandconsider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello to all of you! We have "adopted" a stray kitty that lives outside (we have 5 cats and a dog inside, so we're a little maxed out). We love this orange guy and have set him up on our porch with a kennel, blanket, food and water each morning and night, etc. We want him to be as happy and safe as possible. I'm thinking about winter coming (I know, just a tad early to be thinking about that!) and I want to find a pressure-sensitive heating pad to put inside his kennel for extra warmth. Anyone out there know of a company that manufactures such a thing?

Thanks for all of your help!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I purchased a very nice & expensive K&H brand outdoor heating pad on clearance for next to nothing in Petco this spring. I haven't used it yet, but when I opened it the pad looked good.

Whatever you buy, make sure it specifically states for outdoor use. And if you're thinking about a heating pad, I'm not sure how cold it gets where you are. You may want to start thinking about a heated water bowl to keep water from freezing.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one that I used for an outdoor feral kitty that worked great. I used it inside an outdoor shelter and the way it worked was that it generated heat when you put pressure on it, but never went above about 102F (or might have been 104, but the thermostat was a way to prevent burns). It was a plastic platform and had a sherpa cover for the top that you could remove and wash. The cord was wrapped with wire to prevent tangling.

At 18 years old, she passed away last month so I am no longer going to use it (no more outdoor cats here). If your interested, PM me - I was going to try to find a home for it. I also have a heated water bowl.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
momofmany where did you get it from? I am lucky I can let them in the storage area of the garage and there is a outlet there. I am going to set up a dog crate with bedding and then on top looking to put a piece of plywood and heated bed/pad on top of that. Only doing it that way cause last year if the door was open enough to allow cat in and it snowed alot of snow would come in. Years ago I had a cat set up with a heated blanket. It was a covered open porch and I had it right up by the door. He lovved it and during winter hed leave to pee/poop once or twice a day and that was it. hed eat laying down.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallaround

momofmany where did you get it from? I am lucky I can let them in the storage area of the garage and there is a outlet there. I am going to set up a dog crate with bedding and then on top looking to put a piece of plywood and heated bed/pad on top of that. Only doing it that way cause last year if the door was open enough to allow cat in and it snowed alot of snow would come in. Years ago I had a cat set up with a heated blanket. It was a covered open porch and I had it right up by the door. He lovved it and during winter hed leave to pee/poop once or twice a day and that was it. hed eat laying down.
I'm not sure if I bought mine from this site, but it looks just like this one. I have the Deluxe version and was very happy with it. Oooo, and I notice they are on sale.

http://cozywinters.com/shop/kh-1000-1020.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pawsandconsider

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions! I knew you'd save me many precious minutes lost Googling and looking and reading and considering...I thank you for taking some time to help me (and Tippy McWetwoods the orange kitty) this coming winter.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will try to order it next paycheck as this ones for the spay/neuters of the remaining mom and 2 litters:S
The only time this lil girl hangs around is when its very cold and you can see shes torn between coming in(will come in open window but will freak if I go near her...day she got spayed I had tried to move her from a dog crate to a travel crate and she decided to have no part of that willingly) Supposedly shes had a few litter a YEAR and a few neighbors told me oh shes going to bring you kittens and I had to tell them no, not anymore..alot of sighs of relief there
Actually going to try to get 2 as looks like we will be without central heating this winter and I dont want my urinary cat to flare up.

Good luck with your kitty paws