Look at my new plant! It's a purple passion! Unique!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Another thing I found is that they are dust/hair magnets because of the velvet texture of the leaves. Do not spray or wipe the leaves. To clean them use a soft clean cosmetic brush to sweep away the dust and hair. And I think if I'm remembering right, they don't like high humidity.
Hey thanks!!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goonie

i've killed 4 of them so far
Oh no!!!

Originally Posted by GingersMom

I've had several over the years. I start with a small one and as it matures I make cuttings from it.

When the adult plant matures it will bloom yellow, really STINKY flowers. If you see flower buds, you want to pinch them off and NOT let them bloom.

If the plant becomes too leggy and the stems are getting very woody, you toss it and start again with the cuttings you've made.

To keep it looking nice and bushy, you need to pinch growing tips as you would on a coleus.

I like the purple passion - it's a really unique plant!!
Cool thanks!

Originally Posted by whiteforest

Since everyone seems to like the purple so much, here's a few other purple hanging plants.

Zebrina Wandering Jew

Purple Heart

Purple Leaf Shamrock
I've seen those before!
I was actually debating between the purple passion and the wandering jew, but I found out the wander jew is toxic to cats.

Originally Posted by Misty8723

I used to have several and I loved them. They didn't seem all that finicky to me, I put mine in a window and watered when they told me they needed it (leaves begin to droop). They would get very purple and fuzzy and occasionally grow a flower or two. When you trim it back, put the cuttings into water and it will grow roots, then you can plant it in dirt. At one time DH absolutely forbade me to put any more cutting in water, cause we had them all over the house.
Unfortunately, bugs (mites? I forget what they were exactly) got onto one of mine and spread to all of them, so they all died.
He forbade you planting any more cuttings!
You must have had a ton! I hope I don't get any of those mits!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Oh no!!!

I've seen those before!
I was actually debating between the purple passion and the wandering jew, but I found out the wander jew is toxic to cats.
According the the CFA list, wandering jews are ok for cats.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

According the the CFA list, wandering jews are ok for cats.
Well that's nice to know!!! Maybe I'll have to get one then!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

I've seen those before!
As far as I know they are not toxic. I have the Purple Heart, and I love it. Mine *was* much fuller than the one in the picture that I posted, but I couldn't find any other picture. It's also a type of Wandering Jew, and Ramsay chewed it to shreds a few weeks ago, so it's just now re-sprouting. (I left the roots planted and trimmed it to about an inch above the soil.) Anyway, he never got sick from eating it.

summerkid710

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had mine for years. It creeps like crazy so you have to cut it back regularly. The little orange flowers are stinky but pretty.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Summerkid710

I've had mine for years. It creeps like crazy so you have to cut it back regularly. The little orange flowers are stinky but pretty.
Do you have to cut it back??? I would like it to be bigger, but I don't know what it will look like when it creeps.