Long Time Owner, First Time Poster

MrsFox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! I have been a cat owner, as well as other small furries, forever. My husband and I lost our 13 year old rescue mackerel tabby to liver cancer in May. We adopted an eight month old neutered male in June from our local RSPCA as we missed a moggy face so much. He’s a cheeky, confident and outgoing lad and he brings us lots of happiness! He was a constant biter and chewer, and very clingy with me, so I thought he might benefit from having a buddy to play with, so nearly two weeks ago, we adopted another neutered male who is nine months old. I think they’re getting on reasonably well; they play fight lots, which is adorable, but sometimes this does descend into proper fighting, and it’s usually at night. There’s no constant aggression between them, they will share a litter tray (even though there’s no need), they share toys, will eat together happily. The problem seems to be that the new younger cat doesn’t appear to know his own strength. He’s much bigger and stronger than our existing mog, and I think he plays too rough. Our older cat hisses and ends up yowling, and sometimes it results in some fur flying. I’m having to separate them at night time because I was constantly up and down with a spray bottle and not getting any sleep. Even when they get on at night time, their play fights are absolutely chaotic and they’re crashing and banging into everything, and this is just as noisy as the real fights! I’ve got two stinky pet remedy plug ins and a feliway (currently waiting for the second feliway to be delivered). I think that ultimately they’ll be ok, as they good times far outweigh the bad. Our new mog is lovely and playful, and makes such lovely chirruping meows to our older boy and is obviously so keen to be besties. Any advice? I am conscious that it’s not even been two weeks yet though, and it could take months for them to be fully BFF’s. I just feel bad for our few mog being kept downstairs at night in the kitchen and conservatory as it’s colder, while our other little man is upstairs with us. He’s slept in bed with us since the day we got him and I think he’d be really distressed if he couldn’t get to us. Plus I think we’re babying him a bit because he’s so teeny (about 2.6kg) and it looks like he’s the one being picked on a bit. Am I doing the right thing? Although I’d say I’m an experienced owner, my previous cats were either adopted together, or always lived alone.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
69533856-74A5-4118-BE57-0C09CCC1E15F.gif
MrsFox and kitties, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm

D92D9B09-167A-4056-9432-564FDBCC0851.jpeg

We are so sorry to heat about you rescue but happy that you adopted another two new kitties.

Glad that you’ve joined the site and feel free to ask questions if you have any and post them under the appropriate forum headings and a do check out the many informative articles we have here too :- Articles | The Cat Site

Also some readings to help you get around the site:-
New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

As for your questions, you may post them here to get more suggestions:- Cat Behavior

Please post photos of your kitties for us to see and if you like to have a memorial of your 13 year old rescue, you may do it here in Crossing the Bridge

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :hellosmiley: tabbytom tabbytom gave you some excellent advice. Please note some of the articles she highlighted for help and advice. Thank you for adopting not one but two rescue males. What are their names? Please do post pics, we would love to see both your boys. :camera: Best of luck with less fur flying. Glad you joined the forum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MrsFox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
660A2893-062D-48F6-A448-691D8ABC4691.jpeg
4B9FA1AB-F849-4827-AFE9-BBEAB04A099E.jpeg
CE40BEF5-A03E-412B-AA2E-DF801B47D567.jpeg
Thank you! Our bridge puss was Tigsy, very sadly missed. I’ve had a ring made with his ashes that I’m waiting to be finished. Our 14 month old tuxedo is Groot and our 9 month old beautiful black panther is TARS

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2:

Condolences on the loss of Tigsy. RIP sweet boy. :angel:

Your tuxedo boy Groot and your black panther TARS are both gorgeous. :catrub:

I've never had 2 cats at the same time, so can't offer any advice on the playing/fighting between them. It could certainly be just because they're both still young and will eventually settle down. Or perhaps they could benefit from re-doing their introductions. Here's an article that might help: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide