'Long term' Solensia use and itchiness/side effects?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know how many members have used Solensia for their cat's arthritis at least as long (or longer) as I have with Feeby, but she just got her 6th injection. I have noticed for probably at least the past 2 months that she is having what I'll call 'itchiness attacks' on the lower half of her body (not including legs). Not always prompted by being touched. She has had previous bouts of being 'twitchy' followed up by grooming when being touched - but this is different.

In the test studies, I read that about 3-4% of cats experienced itchiness. Another 7-8% had behavioral changes, one of which was vocalization - another thing that has picked up with Feeby since around the time of the first injection. There is another thread where a couple-three (including me) mentioned howling, but nothing about any itchiness.

The studies did not state that it is cause to discontinue use, but man, I can't believe it isn't bothersome to her as often as it happens. She also went extreme enough once to actually bite my husband when he picked her up and she was having one of these attacks. She never bites!

Anyone seeing excessive itchiness with their cat who is on Solensia?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, I've thought about some sort of antihistamine, and I would imagine the vet might recommend it once I tell her what is going on. I just need to read up on any potential issues with her CKD, and high BP that is being treated with amlodipine. Don't think there is an issue with her Hyper-T or the associate meds, but I suspect there could be with the high BP.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know how many members have used Solensia for their cat's arthritis at least as long (or longer) as I have with Feeby, but she just got her 6th injection. I have noticed for probably at least the past 2 months that she is having what I'll call 'itchiness attacks' on the lower half of her body (not including legs). Not always prompted by being touched. She has had previous bouts of being 'twitchy' followed up by grooming when being touched - but this is different.

In the test studies, I read that about 3-4% of cats experienced itchiness. Another 7-8% had behavioral changes, one of which was vocalization - another thing that has picked up with Feeby since around the time of the first injection. There is another thread where a couple-three (including me) mentioned howling, but nothing about any itchiness.

The studies did not state that it is cause to discontinue use, but man, I can't believe it isn't bothersome to her as often as it happens. She also went extreme enough once to actually bite my husband when he picked her up and she was having one of these attacks. She never bites!

Anyone seeing excessive itchiness with their cat who is on Solensia?
I haven’t seen any signs of itchiness.Twyla has had 4 shots so far.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie's only had one shot so far so I can't help sadly.

He, like Feeby, has bouts of twitchiness already and already howls at night so I'm not sure I'll notice a difference if that occurs.

Could there be another reason for Feeby's new itching at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could there be another reason for Feeby's new itching at all?
I am not aware of itchiness being either a symptom or side effect of any of her diseases/meds. Not to mention that the diseases and meds all predate when the itchiness began. The only newer med is amlodipine (for high BP) and there is no mention of itchiness as a side effect. We have had an ongoing battle with fleas, but that has been an issue for a long time and is as much as under control now as it has ever been. She is treated, as is the house and yard, via multiple modes. What little and infrequent scratching she has done related to fleas is different than what we are seeing now. So, I feel like I've ruled out any of the more obvious possibilities.

Oh, and there are no scabs or wounds as a result of the itching/scratching, so I guess that is one good thing.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not aware of itchiness being either a symptom or side effect of any of her diseases/meds. Not to mention that the diseases and meds all predate when the itchiness began. The only newer med is amlodipine (for high BP) and there is no mention of itchiness as a side effect. We have had an ongoing battle with fleas, but that has been an issue for a long time and is as much as under control now as it has ever been. She is treated, as is the house and yard, via multiple modes. What little and infrequent scratching she has done related to fleas is different than what we are seeing now. So, I feel like I've ruled out any of the more obvious possibilities.

Oh, and there are no scabs or wounds as a result of the itching/scratching, so I guess that is one good thing.
I had a bad feeling you were going to say that as you're very observant with kitty.

I really hope it's not a reaction to it, or only a temp one if it's helping Feeby.