Long term Gabapentin and tolerance

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had their cat on gabapentin long term? If so, did they build a tolerance to it after some time?
I have had my boy on it since February. He has stomach cancer and it has seemed to help him immensely.
Despite a terminal diagnosis he has seemed the happiest he has ever been in his 14 years of life!
Luckily, he is still with us and doing pretty well but I feel like maybe we need to increase his gabapentin dosage. He seems a little more withdrawn so I worry that he feels pain.
Is it possible he has built a tolerance after 8 months? He currently takes 1/2 ml of liquid twice daily. I believe that's about 20mg.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that your cat is facing stomach cancer. To answer your question, my last GSD was on gabapentin permanently as he aged. He did build up tolerance to it over time and we had to increase the dosage. It is generally accepted that this is a medication with which this can occur.

Ask your vet what the increased dosage should be given your cat's specific condition and perceived pain level. You may find that it will be increased only slightly at first in order for you to see what effect it has. Gabapentin is an anti seizure drug that is used for pain, but also for its sedative effect which is why vets prescribe it for cats who are very hard to get into a carrier or transported. Don't make your own decision about the increased amount without talking to the vet and discussing that you believe that there may be increased discomfort from the stomach cancer.