Long Term Effects Of Stress

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has not been herself lately and I think it might be related to stress.

She used to always be up for playing, but doesn't seem interested anymore. Even her favorite toys. I bought her new toys and she just stares at them (except, I recently introduced the laser pointer and she does chase that). She's been going under the bed more.

She also has asthma and has been sitting in her cat tree with her head extended like she was going to have a coughing fit, but did not cough and doesn't appear to be trying to get more air. She does squint her eyes when she does this, though.

So I took her to the vet and after x-rays and blood work, everything looked fine. The diagnosis was that her asthma was getting worse. Since she has a mild case of asthma (no open mouth breathing or wheezing ::knock on wood:: ) I'm skeptical of the diagnosis that her asthma is getting worse. I'm not sure about the reasoning behind her extending her head, but I think her behavior might be linked to stress.

We moved less than 2 months ago and we still aren't "settled." The space is bigger and different and it's taking me a while to figure it out. I had to get, and now put together, new furniture. I don't have anyone to help me so moving my apartment around and building things is going to take a while.

So I'm wondering if this is the case, are there long-term effects? Am I permanently damaging her b/c i can't get this place together? I just keep reading about how stress affects cats and we are supposed to keep the place as stress free as possible, and i feel like I'm not doing that and don't know how to fix it. Everything I read makes me feel like a horrible person.

I don't know how to make this place as stress free as possible and get settled at the same time. I have Feliway plugs, I bought a cave bed for her to hide in if she wants. I have a tunnel for her and I bought a new "tent" which she explored for a little but hasn't gone in it since. I have been keeping a normal routine, leaving for work at the same time and coming home at the same time, feeding at the same time, attempting to play at the same time.

This is stressing me out, which I know is not good for her also. Do I just try to live normally instead of trying to make everything as "stress free" as possible? What if she gets more stressed? Will she eventually come out of it?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Do I just try to live normally instead of trying to make everything as "stress free" as possible?
In my opinion, yes, as long as she's eating since stress can have a long term effect on the digestive system and cause things like IBD.

If I may ask, how is her breathing after she chases the laser?

And maybe look into something other then feliway. It is only one of the many calming products on the market, and some cats don't respond to it.
There are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryptophan and casein.

In addition some people are using CBD oil.

There is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Thunderease, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe. Thunderease has a diffuser and so does Sentry.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo. Australia's Petbarn has a product as well.

There are a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Regarding her eating, I don't recall if I posted a list of toppers for you, in case I didn't;
Something else also is to take some pate and mix in a tablespoon of warm water (a shot glass works well for this).

see if anything here, on her food or separately, will entice your cat to eat;
  • Chicken or beef flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand - it's usually smelly. See if it's eaten on its own, then maybe mix it in or put on top
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat gravy poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes are on the internet, look for some with goat milk)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
    you could crumble treats onto the wet food, Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has not been herself lately and I think it might be related to stress.

She used to always be up for playing, but doesn't seem interested anymore. Even her favorite toys. I bought her new toys and she just stares at them (except, I recently introduced the laser pointer and she does chase that). She's been going under the bed more.

She also has asthma and has been sitting in her cat tree with her head extended like she was going to have a coughing fit, but did not cough and doesn't appear to be trying to get more air. She does squint her eyes when she does this, though.

So I took her to the vet and after x-rays and blood work, everything looked fine. The diagnosis was that her asthma was getting worse. Since she has a mild case of asthma (no open mouth breathing or wheezing ::knock on wood:: ) I'm skeptical of the diagnosis that her asthma is getting worse. I'm not sure about the reasoning behind her extending her head, but I think her behavior might be linked to stress.

We moved less than 2 months ago and we still aren't "settled." The space is bigger and different and it's taking me a while to figure it out. I had to get, and now put together, new furniture. I don't have anyone to help me so moving my apartment around and building things is going to take a while.

So I'm wondering if this is the case, are there long-term effects? Am I permanently damaging her b/c i can't get this place together? I just keep reading about how stress affects cats and we are supposed to keep the place as stress free as possible, and i feel like I'm not doing that and don't know how to fix it. Everything I read makes me feel like a horrible person.

I don't know how to make this place as stress free as possible and get settled at the same time. I have Feliway plugs, I bought a cave bed for her to hide in if she wants. I have a tunnel for her and I bought a new "tent" which she explored for a little but hasn't gone in it since. I have been keeping a normal routine, leaving for work at the same time and coming home at the same time, feeding at the same time, attempting to play at the same time.

This is stressing me out, which I know is not good for her also. Do I just try to live normally instead of trying to make everything as "stress free" as possible? What if she gets more stressed? Will she eventually come out of it?
When you described her laying with her neck/head stretched, eyes squinted, etc., this describes our asthmatic to a tee whenever he's having a flare up or an impending "attack". It's like his airways are inflamed. How is her breathing, I know you said it's not harsh or wheezing but watch her sides. Does she seem to be putting more "effort" into it?
In his case, stress can certainly make it a bit worse, but you can only make life as stress free as possible. If *you're* stressed, she will know this!

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could there be something in your new home that is making her asthma worse? Maybe dust in the hvac ductwork or something the previous owners sprinkled on the carpet? Or maybe something environmental like a tree that produces a lot of pollen that wasn't around your old house? Would one of those air purifiers help?

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine has asthma but the coughing/hacking is very occasional. Like it happens once every few months or when something specific triggers it (rain+cold air, scented candles/wax, certain types of litter or... you guessed it; stress). I moved homes recently and, the first 2-3 days, Elfie did cough and hack some. Back to normal now though.