Long or short hair?

dimestorehalo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Christmas Eve, I was donating some blankets to a local shelter, and ended up coming home with this little girl (Lola): 

They had her listed as a 9-wo Norwegian.  She was nothing but skin and bones, weighing just about a pound.  I spent that weekend getting kitten formula and goats milk down her until we could get to the vet, who said she was about 7 weeks and terribly malnourished.  They called her a DLH tri-color

A little furball--I put a kitten collar on her and she promptly matted all over her neck.  This picture and my avatar were taken at the beginning of Feb, which would make her about 12 wks

Her coat has really changed.  A lot of the reds have darkened, and she has a black stripe running down her back and tail.  Lots of belly fur though!

Lola and Percy get along great:  They're wrestling as I type this.

I can't figure out what her coat is going to end up as.  Her tail fur is still kind of long, although not very thick.  Any ideas?  She's a sweetheart and the vet wanted her when I took her for her 2nd baby shot.  I had too much invested!

Last edited by a moderator:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say Lola was long haired, more "medium haired" to be honest. I would also say her belly is crying out to be snuggled into! :love:
It's great that Percy was willing to adopt a little sister. :)

mrpurrrfectcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is classed as a long hair but more of a medium hair and I agree wish pushlady, that Lola is a "medium haired".

She's gorgeous, such a little cutie! She looks so healthy and happy, they both do!

What a lovely Christmas present for both of you [emoji]128571[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dimestorehalo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input!

I would classify Percy (the big black and white) as a medium.  He's very soft and furry.

It will be interesting to see what color Lola ends up as--some kind of smoky torti tabby with a reverse skunk stripe :)

dimestorehalo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What color(s) would you put her as?  I think it's very interesting that her kitten red-gold has changed to brown-silver.  I don't think I can call her a brown tabby, especially with that silver and black tail...

She still has a little red/gold on her flank, and her tummy looks totally different.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, she's a beautiful medium haired girl =^^=

As for color, I would put her as 'Black Tortie Tabby Mackerel with White'

Give her a hug from me :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They had her listed as a 9-wo Norwegian.  She was nothing but skin and bones, weighing just about a pound.  I spent that weekend getting kitten formula and goats milk down her until we could get to the vet, who said she was about 7 weeks and terribly malnourished.  They called her a DLH tri-color

A little furball--I put a kitten collar on her and she promptly matted all over her neck.  This picture and my avatar were taken at the beginning of Feb, which would make her about 12 wks.
Her coat has really changed.  A lot of the reds have darkened, and she has a black stripe running down her back and tail.  Lots of belly fur though!

Lola and Percy get along great:  They're wrestling as I type this.

I can't figure out what her coat is going to end up as.  Her tail fur is still kind of long, although not very thick.  Any ideas?  She's a sweetheart and the vet wanted her when I took her for her 2nd baby shot.  I had too much invested!
I myself wouldnt not compare her to Norwegian,    If i wanted something sounding less usual, I would sooner say Siberian...

But Percy, her pal, HE may perhaps pretend to be a Norwegian.  He is quite large too, no?

dimestorehalo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't believe the rescue when they called her a Norwegian although the amber color was intriguing, big eyes and black tufts at the top of her ears. Percy isn't as big as he looks, weighing only about 14 pounds which is smaller than most of my previous cats. Both have somebody long haired somewhere in their ancestry. Why did you pick Percy as having Norwegian possibly?

lonelocust

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, she's very beautiful. What a face! I totally see why they'd say she looks like a Norwegian. The face shape and ear tufts are spot on. And I've see NFC kittens that aren't yet terribly fluffy at 9 weeks not to mention seven. I'm not seeing the resemblance in Percy myself, but I can barely see his face.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I didn't believe the rescue when they called her a Norwegian although the amber color was intriguing, big eyes and black tufts at the top of her ears. Percy isn't as big as he looks, weighing only about 14 pounds which is smaller than most of my previous cats. Both have somebody long haired somewhere in their ancestry. Why did you pick Percy as having Norwegian possibly?
He has a somewhat triangularish head and face. He is biggish on the pic.  And you say 14pounds arent much for you, but believe me its anyway above average for a cat whom isnt fat.  He is more or less longhair.  AND he is bicolor, quite common among the Wegies...

Im not saying he is a Norwegian, not even very good look alike, but he could pretend to be.     :)     Esp compared with his new little sibling.

dimestorehalo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's Lola at almost a year old! She is quite proud of her tail.   She has trained Percy to take care of it for her.  Percy won't quit eating, so he's becoming quite the large cat at about 17 pounds.  It might have something to do with taking in another large, long-haired, male B&W older cat.

Last edited by a moderator: