Long-lasting cat grass?

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there a variety that is safe for cats to eat and lasts a while? I get so tired of either buying them every week or trying to grow my own which seems like a lot of work for such a little time for them to enjoy it. I'm looking for some other alternatives and have yet to find anything. Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That you can grow inside? No. Unless you supplement the grass with a grow bulb it cannot survive very long inside in filtered light. All the grasses used for cat grass need a lot of sunlight after it gets so large.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We use Cyprus grass [cyperus]. It takes a while for it to grow, but once it does, it lasts for weeks. It's sold as cat grass at garden centers here (Germany). You'll have to start with a bought pot of it, since it doesn't grow from seeds, and then separate some of the roots and put them in separate pots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That you can grow inside? No. Unless you supplement the grass with a grow bulb it cannot survive very long inside in filtered light. All the grasses used for cat grass need a lot of sunlight after it gets so large.
Sorry, I should have clarified! No, actually for outside. I have an outdoor enclosure for the kitties and I'd like to put some cat grass in there so they don't have to just look at my yard and dream.

Thanks jcat! I'll check that one out.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, if it's outside any of the packets of "cat grass" you can find sold with other seed will work. Just remember that some of it is oat - and that can get tougher as it matures.

I've never seen cyprus grass, but then a lot of stuff is not readily available in my area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

What about some catnip?
Already have that part taken care of! I'm just afraid I might end up attracting all the neighborhood cats as well.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the feeling... I have a NEW issue with nip................ We reccently moved to the middle of nowhere and there are bobcats. Ummm, as much as I love cats I prefer that the bobcat stay in the woods and not in my yard, LOL. They can have the yard ALL night though, as long as I am safely indoors, haha.