Long introductions that are getting nowhere.

kashurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So here's the introduction to this story. I have a cat named Luna. I adopted her from the shelter at four months old. She's the friendliest most gentle cat. She'll go up to any stranger that comes in. The only scratches I ever got was when she falls off my lap. She's never hissed at me except once when she got out and was cornered by my friend. I had her for a year when I started to move to a bigger apartment. I had been thinking of a friend for her since I work long hours and feel like she'd do well with one.

As I'm moving, I get adopted by this little boy named Nico. He's about six months old and the sweetest tom ever. He loves belly rubs and loves being picked up and held like a baby. He's also super friendly with everyone. I say adopted me because he came into my old apartment and wouldn't leave.

Now I know that on top of a move, a new cat will be extremely stressful, but sometimes we can't decide these timings. Luna takes to the new apartment extremely well. I keep Nico in the bathroom during the night and bedroom during the day. Luna hisses at him under the door. After a week and a half, the hissing all but stops. He paws under the door and she paws at his paw. I switch their rooms every so often and they're fine. They see each other through the glass patio door (patio connects both living room and bedroom) and there's no hissing. Just some pawing at each other. I use a screen door and they seem fine. No hissing, just pawing at each other. Nico tries to play with Luna, but she's more cautious of him. Still no negative reactions.

Three and a half weeks into this introduction, since things are going well I have a friend help me with a face to face introduction. Nico comes at Luna and she hisses at him to back off. He doesn't and continues towards her. She keeps hissing and growling while she backs away from him. He keeps coming forward until she's backed herself into a corner. He pounces at her and they start to fight. They get broken up but it happens to more times before the introduction is cancelled.

I go back to the previous step. I've added a pet gate and they're fine through there. They even eat across from each other through the gate just fine.

I also have been training Nico on a harness and leash. He takes it well and isn't bothered by it. I use it to introduce them so he can't pounce at her. She hisses and growls at him when he gets near her and he doesn't back off.

This introduction has been going on for nearly three months now. They're fine through the doors. They're fine through the gate and screen door. But as soon as they can get at each other he comes at her and doesn't heed her hissing. He doesn't seem to have any ill intentions. His tail is up and seems he just wants to play but doesn't seem to take Luna's hint that she doesn't. What should I do? They're fine completely outside face to face.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats are territorial. Very territorial. 

However, there are lots of stories from guardians taking care of two or more cats. Without significant problems.

Some experts even reccomends guarding 2 cats, in order to maintain a social climate (cats are social, according to recent research, not in the meaning of a dog or wolves pack, but still social - see colonies).

Therefore, there is sufficient backgorund to assume that caring two cats together in the same apartment is feasible. 

Territorial means "ownership" of resources. Some types of resources are obvious: food. Some are rather difficult to spot: shelter, reproduction.

The cats in colonies are staying together because there are sufficient resources (in terms of ecology) for all of them.

I suggest:

- having free feeding in excess quantities for each cat, each having hgisd.her own dish - make sure there is are plate types (low edges). same for the water

- having more hiding places for both (card boxes do the job for most cats, as far as I am aware- but mine does not like them, so it looks like this attraction is not quite universal)

- pet them equally, talk to them equally

Health check?

Another reccomandation that some experts make is to set physical limits for each cat territory. In my view, this is nothing more than setting one room for each cat - which you already done. But is worth trying a more symbolic border strategy, I guess. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both of them of them have their own food and water bowls. Luna doesn't eat everything right away so her bowl has food always. He inhales everything so I have to feed him three meals a day. Both have their own litterbox. Each has their hiding places. Neither of my cats care for boxes. Luna loves bags though and she has lots of those. There's lots of climbing areas in both rooms. They both get played with separately 20-60 min a day depending on work. Each gets time with me to relax too. Each gets play time on the patio as well. But everything has to be done separately :(

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"Social" does not mean pack, in case of cats. Since they have very little capacity to set an hierarchy, getting together is rather mysterious.

To me, looks like the two cats do not want to form a small "colony". 

They are 2 possible causes:

a) insufficient resources, food availability to be checked carefully - do you feed both of them "free-food"? Where are the bowls - close to each other, one in each room? Are both bowls the same construction/shape/color etc.? 

b) un-balanced affection - you do something different to one of the cats  - do you talk more to one than to another?

Is it one of the cats more aggressive (to you or to the other cat) than the other?

Health check is anyway a must so you may ask the vet the same question, to check weather there is a condition preventing them to stay together.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Females are known to be 'divas' in a household and are seldom pals with other cats. Your little boy wants a playmate, she does not, she is female and older. After he is older and settles down they will become friends, and will provide each other with company. I have always thought the 'perfect' family is two males to play with each other and rough house, and a female to keep them in line. You need to provide her with a high place to get away from him, and plenty of toys to keep him busy. She will eventually like him to keep her busy, it does get lonely when left alone for long periods. Three months is not long in a cat's world, I think they are doing fine. There have been a LOT of changes in Luna's world lately and she is scared and confused. Cat's won't show this, they hold it inside to not show weakness. Once he learns that she is not a playmate they will get along fine. She will eventually interact with him, maybe not to wrestle, that is above her dignity, but I would bet they will chase each other and bat toys together. I would get him neutered ASAP, it will curb his aggressiveness and take away some of his need to 'dominate' her. This might be a good time to do it because they usually don't get along after a vet visit and all those strange smells, it may cause a setback in their introductions and you might as well get it over with. Always take them to teh vet together to avoid this. I have to take 4!  My cats interacted through a patio door for a year, now everyone gets along fine. It will all get better with time. Good luck, and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got him neutere a few weeks ago and her reaction to him didn't change. She didn't start hissing at him through the doors or screens. They're fine with each other through closed doors, cracked doors, gate, and screen door. Though the other day he managed to squeeze through the cracked door and run at her and immediately pounced at her and they fought until I managed to separate them. So clearly still can't be in the same room together.

Other than being in the same room they're fine. They bat at each other's paws, play with the same toy through the gate. Just if they're in the same room, he doesn't back off when she hisses so they fight.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it takes a maximum of six weeks for the hormones to leave the system after neutering. 

I've heard some people on this forum say that it took their cats 7 or 8 months to feel easy with each other, I wouldn't despair yet. I'm not sure you realise how much they've accomplished so far. 

People have mixed results with feliway, you could try it, it's expensive though. I used it when I was introducing my cats, and they responded well to it. 

Last edited: