Long Haired Cat/ Kitten Question...

Brit1157

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do long haired cats look long hair their whole life, or do they go through a stage when they are a few months old that they look short hair?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beau was clearly a longhair from the start. Charlie, on the other hand, had kitten fluff that made me think he'd be at least a mediumhair.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens will always have a bit more fluff than they will as adults, so young shorthaired kittens can sometimes look almost like longhairs. There are some seasonal variations in coat thickness, too, which you can see some examples of here: Seasonal Changes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brit1157

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank y'all for the responses. I have 3 kittens, 2 are around 5-6 month old and one is around 3 months. The two older ones had very long hair when they were 6-8 weeks old. It wasn't so much fluffy, just long, it laid down it was so long. Then when they started to grow, it's like their bodies grew, but their hair didn't. They both looked almost short hair. Now the oldest one has started to fluff back out. The middle one still looks pretty short haired, except for his stomach and back legs. They are still fluffy. And the baby, his hair was fluffy as a small kitten, didn't look the same as the others, but now his is shortening up too. I didn't know if it is a phase or something they go through, since they all seemed to do it and they aren't related. I'm sorry if this is confusing lol

Brit1157

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried posting a picture of the 2 oldest when they were smaller but I'm not sure if I did it right. I'm new to this lol. I'm going to try to add more if I can figure it out lol

Brit1157

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It let me post one, but I can't get any more to upload

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes! When kittens are young they don’t necessarily look long haired. They may look a little fluffier or thick coated than short hair kittens but unless you have them side by side with short hairs you may not be able to see the difference. I have lived with cats my whole life and have adopted two kittens without realizing they would grow up to be long hairs.