Long hair or short?

Kdbyoung

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is pretty fluffy which makes me assume he will be a long haired cat but every article I read says to look at his toes. Apparently long haired kittens will have long tufts between their toes. I took a look at his and they are short like my short haired cat so I’m questioning if maybe he will turn into a short to medium haired cat:) not that it matters either way he is a cutie pie but I will invest in a good brush for long haired and start getting him used to it now if he is in fact a long haired cat :)

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My kitten is pretty fluffy which makes me assume he will be a long haired cat but every article I read says to look at his toes. Apparently long haired kittens will have long tufts between their toes. I took a look at his and they are short like my short haired cat so I’m questioning if maybe he will turn into a short to medium haired cat:) not that it matters either way he is a cutie pie but I will invest in a good brush for long haired and start getting him used to it now if he is in fact a long haired cat :)
What a beauty!
I tend to look at ears, and there seems to be a lot of fluff at the base of his ears. His body (and legs in the 3rd pic) look pretty long too. How old is he? My guess is he's going to be a fluffy cat, and it's possible his paw tufts will catch up. :)

Devia Morgenstern

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I assume he's going to be a long-hair. There's plenty of fur around his ears, and the hair along his body does appear to be longer then a normal short-hair cats. Also, while there's no tufts in-between his toes, but I do notice tufts on some of his toes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kdbyoung

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a beauty!
I tend to look at ears, and there seems to be a lot of fluff at the base of his ears. His body (and legs in the 3rd pic) look pretty long too. How old is he? My guess is he's going to be a fluffy cat, and it's possible his paw tufts will catch up. :)
Ooh the ears, he does have a few whisks of long fur on the ears for sure! Looks like I’m going to find a brush today haha thank you!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ooh the ears, he does have a few whisks of long fur on the ears for sure! Looks like I’m going to find a brush today haha thank you!
You're very welcome!
I've been grooming pets for many years, and for a long haired cat you'll definitely want to get a metal comb as well as a brush. I really like the ones that are wide toothed one one end and finer toothed on the other, so you basically have two combs in one. The wide tooth comb will keep his coat tangle free and flowing, and the fine tooth comb will catch any little tangles you miss.
Start training him to like brushing and combing early. He'll probably initially think it's a toy and that's normal, if he's on his side or back batting at the brush as you're trying to work, give him a toy to bite and grab instead and work another 10-15 seconds, and if he leaves the brush/comb alone, stop the session. Make sure your brushing and combing strokes are smooth, slow and long (no short "chopping" motions, that seems to annoy a lot of cats.)

Kdbyoung

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're very welcome!
I've been grooming pets for many years, and for a long haired cat you'll definitely want to get a metal comb as well as a brush. I really like the ones that are wide toothed one one end and finer toothed on the other, so you basically have two combs in one. The wide tooth comb will keep his coat tangle free and flowing, and the fine tooth comb will catch any little tangles you miss.
Start training him to like brushing and combing early. He'll probably initially think it's a toy and that's normal, if he's on his side or back batting at the brush as you're trying to work, give him a toy to bite and grab instead and work another 10-15 seconds, and if he leaves the brush/comb alone, stop the session. Make sure your brushing and combing strokes are smooth, slow and long (no short "chopping" motions, that seems to annoy a lot of cats.)
Thanks so much, I appreciate the help! 😻

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The tail is a better indicator of long or short hair than tufts on either ears or toes. You only have one picture that shows the tail, and it does look like he could be longhair.

Kdbyoung

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a little update! He’s 5 months old now and look very much like a “medium” haired kitty:) I will update again when he’s around 8 months to see the difference!

Attachments