Long hair cats

xenabean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an 11 week old kitten who knows how to use his litter box and everything but he seems to get little poop stuck on his fur on his bum.  He is a long hair cat but I have never had a long hair cat before. Is this normal for long haired cats? Will he grow out of it?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is normal, but annoying (probably to him too!). I took a scissors I kept just for that purpose and would trim close under the tail. No more stuck poop! You may need someone to hold him for you, they DON'T like it. Once it's done, it doesn't have to be done all that often.  Firmer stools might help too, does he have diarrhea or too soft stools? That may solve itself when he gets good and used to the food  you are giving him, he's still awfully young. All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xenabean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

It is normal, but annoying (probably to him too!). I took a scissors I kept just for that purpose and would trim close under the tail. No more stuck poop! You may need someone to hold him for you, they DON'T like it. Once it's done, it doesn't have to be done all that often.  Firmer stools might help too, does he have diarrhea or too soft stools? That may solve itself when he gets good and used to the food  you are giving him, he's still awfully young. All the luck!
We had diarrhea issues for a few weeks with no real reason why. I finally switched his food a little over a week ago to an expensive brand that has a probiotic in it and his stools are normal now. The poop doesn't get stuck to him all the time but enough that he gets mad when I have to clean him off. When he gets bigger, I'm going to get him shaved. But for now, i'll trim his bum :) thanks!