Long-Hair Cat help!

amandaterasu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little long hair kitten has a problem. Every day when she poops, I inevitably have to groom her after, because some gets caught in the fur on the back of her legs and the bottom of her tail! How do you deal with/prevent this? Should I trim the hair back there? If so, how?

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two adult long haired cats are able to take care of this for themselves. But a lot of long haired cats need help with this. Also, the back of their legs have a tendency to get mats there.

I comb the back of their legs regularly. Some people do clip that area, with appropriate scissors.

If you want to do this, but need someone to show you how, maybe you could take your kitten to a groomer for this, at least the first time. Or maybe the staff at your vet's office will help by showing you how.

Robin

Last edited:

flinch4me

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a long furred kitten... she gets mats in her fur from time to time but not in such a bad way... I usually take a large strand in my hand and take a brush and brush her fur downwards pulling little strands out of the large strands until all the strands are brushed... this helps to remove some tangles in her fur... but sometimes it's really hard to get them out and it becomes matted and requires bathing and brushing. I tend to wash the cat and brush it before I shampoo it so that I brush out all the mats which are loose from the water...This can help with the poop problem as well because it gets the under-layer of fur off and helps shedding as well if you are a little allergic. 

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Word of advice here from a long time long hair owner:

Never bathe a cat with mats.

Get rid of the mats first, then bathe.

Getting mats wet can actually make them tighter and cause them to literally take days to dry completely.

Never bathe with anything labelled for dogs and cats, a lot of those products contain ingredients that are deadly to cats.

Best to get cat specific shampoo from your vet, or order it from Drs Foster & Smith or Pet Edge.

I have always kept the fur trimmed on the behinds of my long haired cats.

If you go to a vet or groomer to have it done, most call it a sanitary trim.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is what is called a "sanitary shave" done on long-haired cats.  Essentially, it shortens the fur around the cat's bottom and the back of his legs, making it easier for it to keep itself clean.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A good, metal pet comb is what groomers use to get out mats, unless they are so bad that the area has to be shaved to remove the mat, or mats. Regular combing with one of these keeps mats away. My groomer had me get a "butter comb" from Chris Christensen Systems (on website). It works great. Pricey though.

Also, my Harlow loves the Zoom Groom (sold at major pet stores). He demands brushing with this every day. He thinks he is getting a massage. It collects a lot of loose hair, and decreases what he sheds, considerably. And it reduces chances of matting, too.

I've never bathed any of my cats. My two long-haired cats see a cat groomer occasionally, like every 6 months, mostly because my Ariel doesn't like to be touched (though she asks for occasional, limited petting), and I'd rather not argue with her. The cat groomer comes to the house, brings everything she needs, and works on my cats in the bathroom. She has never thought my cats need bathing, which she would do, if needed. She does do a sanitary trim, and combs out any mats that I have neglected to find.

Interestingly, she has told my several times that the Furiminator tool is bad, though I haven't asked why. I did have this mat busting gadget that she encouraged me to throw out (which I did) because it can easily cut cat skin.

Robin