Long duration between kittens

mormegil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. Mother delivered 2 kittens initially, about 2 hours apart, Fri Sept 5th. Thought she was done, but about 7 hours later, on the 6th, the birth pain screams were heard again, delivered a 3rd, live. Thought she was done then, but a gentle exam (lightly feeling around her abdomen) revealed at least 1 more, moving. Now its the 8th, still no more delivered. Mother seems fine & healthy, no discharge, feeding & caring for the other kittens normally. Is it time to see the vet, or is such a duration between births (she's NOT shown any signs of being in labor during this time) not unheard of? Willing to take her if necessary but honestly it will hurt financially. Thanks in advance for any advice.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's definitely not unheard of for kittens to be born days apart, sometimes even weeks. That's because the kittens in a litter were not necessarily all conceived at the same time, so they could be different ages.

It's also pretty common to mistake the uterus for another kitten, before it has had time to shrink down to normal size.

If she seems fine and not in distress, there's probably no reason to take her to the vet just now. If she were pushing for a long time and unable to deliver a kitten, or if she were acting sick or had a fever, or so uncomfortable she's unable to care for the kittens already born, that would be the time for a vet to intervene.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree with above.  so you dont need to panic.

That said, the situation IS touchy, so you must be vigilant  and prepared to contact your vet, and if necessary - rush her in...

Good luck!  @mormegil

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mormegil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
An update for those in a similar situation looking at this thread in the future:

A vet visit 2 weeks after this was posted revealed there was no 4th kitten; what I'd felt was most likely the blood engorged uterus. No explanation for the movement I'd felt, but it was subtle so could have been related to her breathing.

Thanks for your help & advice, wasn't seeing anything about this particular situation elsewhere online when I asked here, and the vet line I called at the time was unhelpful, more concerned with getting me in there.