Long distance move

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boyfriend uses one of these Dog Crate, it takes up his entire backseat, but it has room for a litterbox and a bed.
Our crate only has one door on the end.

His girls seem to do pretty well in there, he feeds and waters when he makes rest/gas stops.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used Rescue Remedy on Ku Ku when we moved - that involved a long-haul flight.
Ku Ku was NOT allowed in-cabin, she was in a crate on the cargo area but Rescue Remedy worked fine for her

ancientsanskrit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In TX, but will always be a Michigan-boy.
You guys are over-thinking this, IMO.

The best thing you can do is take practice runs with that cat(s) in the car before making the long haul. I took a couple 30 mins. sprints w/my kitten then made the 1500 mile track from Texas to Michigan for the holidays and then back 3 weeks later. Did both trips straight shot, approx. 30 hrs runs. God, I hated driving those distances, and to think w/o kitty I could have taken the plane...

Keep cat contained at all times. A cat on the loose in the car is not safe. Imagine if the cat managed getting under the brake pedal.

Just take breaks every couple hours and let the cat out. I would put the litter box in the back seat and fed him water and food whenever I took breaks.

If you can keep somebody sitting next to the cat, that's a plus. I was driving alone, so I kept the kitten in his carrier in the passenger's seat and that calmed him.

A couple or things:
-Do not overfeed the cat the night before, and keep feed them a bit less when driving.
-They may get grouchy and start meowing a lot. Eventually, they'll stop and just fall asleep or something.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read the OP's post, but rather the last few posts! Like others mentioned, best to talk to your vet. Perhaps, some driving over the speed limit is needed, too!!!